How to figure out efficiency???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beersnob16

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain batch today (lake walk pale ale) and my numbers are way high. The recipe I used is as follows:

8 lbs 2 row
2 lbs toasted pale ale malt
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb flaked wheat

Mash @ 154 for 60 mins
Batch sparge @ 168 for 15 mins

My first runnings gravity was 1.095 after temp adjustment according to beer smith.

My second runnings after batch sparging was 1.030 after temp adjustment according to beer smith.

I had just over 7 gallons going into the boil with a pre boil gravity of 1.055.

After the boil my gravity was 1.070 @ 73 degrees.

I know that boiling down from 7 gallons to 5.5 going into the fermenter is going to bring up the gravity but both brewing programs I use have my post boil gravity at about 1.056.

I am wondering how to figure my efficiency for this batch?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed my first all grain batch today (lake walk pale ale) and my numbers are way high. The recipe I used is as follows:

8 lbs 2 row
2 lbs toasted pale ale malt
1 lb crystal 60
1 lb flaked wheat

Mash @ 154 for 60 mins
Batch sparge @ 168 for 15 mins

My first runnings gravity was 1.095 after temp adjustment according to beer smith.

My second runnings after batch sparging was 1.030 after temp adjustment according to beer smith.

I had just over 7 gallons going into the boil with a pre boil gravity of 1.055.

After the boil my gravity was 1.070 @ 73 degrees.

I know that boiling down from 7 gallons to 5.5 going into the fermenter is going to bring up the gravity but both brewing programs I use have my post boil gravity at about 1.056.

I am wondering how to figure my efficiency for this batch?

Which type of efficiency are you trying to measure? Please read and understand http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Understanding_Efficiency

12 lbs of grain at let's say 34 pts/pound/gallon (AKA ppg) in 5.5 gallons is a max of 74 gravity points (34*12/5.5 = 74). OG 1.070 is 70 points, 100*70/74 = 94.5%. That's really high, any chance your volumes are not completely correct? Or a miscalibrated hydrometer/thermometer?

I double checked everything, I have two hydrometers and three thermometers, the hydrometers read exactly the same and the thermometers were within a degree of each other.

The only thing I can think of is this is the first time I crushed my own grain.

For accurate Hydro readings let the sample cool to room temp.
I use the brewer's friend calculator and plug in the grains to calculate efficiency. You can use the preboil volume and gravity or the volume and gravity into the kettle. If you can measure gravity (and volume) accurately preboil you can adjust water volume to hit your target SG into the kettle.

Don't use temp-correction. Chill the wort to the hydrometers reference temperature. It's more precise that way.

And measuring preboil gravity isn't as easy as it sounds. You need to make sure it's all blended, like after a short boil, or going frantic while stirring, or else you will get a high reading.

Back