How to disassemble kettle ball valve for cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
I have a new kettle valve https://www.anvilbrewing.com/product-p/anv-valve.htm that I'm trying to disassemble and clean. Instructions say to use two wrenches but I would swear that this is welded together and I can't unscrew it. I've tried with the handle in both positions and my last resort is to get a smaller wrench at the hardware store today :confused:

Capture1.JPG

A bench vise works well to hold it. I didn't really care for the two piece design and ended up replacing mine with a 3-piece model, which is much easier to deal with.

You are turning the correct way? Don't get a smaller wrench, get a bigger one! ;)

It's probably on pretty darn tight and the use of a workbench will help tremendously as stated above.

To be honest, aside from initial and subsequent cleaning with PBW, I only boil mine for 15 minutes to kill anything living in there.

You are turning the correct way? Don't get a smaller wrench, get a bigger one! ;)

Sounds like that should be the way to go but the wrench I have is too big and have been able to get by with it until now:tank:

Back