how to crush grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

integra93ls

Reaction score
Ok I don't have any crusher yet. I got some grains from lhbs n they don't crush grains. How can I do it at home?

ziplock bag and rolling pin or bottle..I'd hate to have to do it on a large grain bill but you could if you wanted to.

Is there a Homebrew club in your area? If so I'm sure someone with a mill would be willing to help out and crush them for you.

Well I used a blender on pulse mode. Put a little at time n pulsed a few times. The grains look welled crushed so hope it will be ok.

Blender isn't the right tool. You want the grains crushed to open them up but otherwise intact. Chopped grains will be more astringent. Good luck with this batch.

Meh I have used the blender a few times with excellent results. Especially if you are BIAB for all grain, and even more so if you are just steeping. The crushed was much better with much more flavor/color extraction than the classic rolling pin method (or bailey's bottle in my case).

OP- You did well, my first blender session I was trying half pound increments. Some grain would be flour, some perfect, and some untouched. When I started doing it little bits at a time, the crush looks similar to my grain mill.

Back