How to Connect Auto Siphon to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamInNJ

Reaction score
Hey All,

I wanted to try a "closed-ish" transfer from fermenter to keg via an auto siphon (I also just bought fermenters that have a tap on them so I can do it that way in the future).

However, the ID of the liquid lines which fit the ball lock fitting are too small to put the end of the auto siphon or tap into. How do people make this connection work so there are no leaks and you can get the beer transferred without opening the keg (which will be filled with co2)

If you take the liquid post off the keg the tubing from a large auto siphon will fit on the keg threads. Then if you really want to get fancy you can run the escaping CO2 from the receiving keg back into your fermenter. About the closest you can get to closed transfer without a fermenter capable of being pressurized.

Last edited:
I’m not sure what you mean. i have the ball lock post on the keg, the liquid line attached to that - but the ID of the liquid line is way to small to fit on the end of the autosiphon

1640197547138.png

1640197798917.png

I’m not sure what you mean. i have the ball lock post on the keg, the liquid line attached to that - but the ID of the liquid line is way to small to fit on the end of the autosiphon
image.jpg

This is just to give you the general idea. Probably want a hose clamp on that too.

Last edited:
You're thinking about it backwards. What you need is a black QD with a 3/8" hose barb on it.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/keg_ball_qd_blk_flare.htmhttps://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/fflbarb38.htm
Don't forget that you should fill the keg to the brim with water, add starsan, cap it off and roll it around a bit. Then hook up your black QD to the keg, attach the tubing and the inner cane of the autosiphon (only). Put that cane in a bucket and put CO2 on the keg to completely drain the keg of starsan solution. Vent the keg to near zero pressure, put the cane back into the autosiphon and get the flow going. Extra points if you route a gas line from the keg's gas port back into your fermenter (even though with the autosiphon you won't have 100% protection but at least you'll be back flushing to prevent a ton of air ingress.

Back