How to clean a nasty bathtub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have tried bleach and oxyclean. Any other ideas? I never clean it. SO there is build up of soap scum that has turned blackish. Maybe mold.

Scrubbing bubbles, you pig.;)

02570039514_220x220_a.jpg

Magic Erasers and ....from the Almighty Google:
Mix one part ammonia with two parts water. Spray this solution onto the location and then wipe clean. You may need to rinse down the area thoroughly afterwards.
Warm up about two cups of vinegar slightly in your microwave. Pour it into a spray bottle. Spray directly onto the soap scum and allow it to work for a minute or so. You can usually wipe it clean within minutes.
Use a dryer sheet. You can rub these sheets right onto the walls and they will help to remove the scum.

Well I tried the Magic Erasers. I had an extra one. It worked great. But its going to take 20 of them to do the whole thing.

The Tilex brand stuff usually works pretty well. The other option is CLR if it's mostly mineral build up.

Well I tried the Magic Erasers. I had an extra one. It worked great. But its going to take 20 of them to do the whole thing.

There was a thread about cleaning brewing supplies in the tub a while back... I now rescind everything I said in it.

Man dude what the hell. My wife would shoot me if I don't spray and wipe the shower/tub after I use it. But then again she cleans everything twice.

Well it wouldn't be nasty if someone else cleaned it or I was pressured to do it. I am not big on cleaning especially bathrooms.

Well for the most part it is cleaned up. Barkeepers didn't work either. I didn't try vinegar or ammonia. I just used magic eraser rite aid brand. In case anyone cares to know the rite aid brand does not work as well as the Mr Clean brand.

Dude. Seriously? That's disgusting.

Single guy here as well, but I couldn't possibly stand to take a shower in a tub like you describe. Have you ever had a date over at your place?

I own a rental property and I have to do it each time my tenants change.

You need:
-1 bottle of Soft Scrub w/bleach
-1 big sponge (like a car-washing sponge)
- 1 cup of bleach

You want to keep the windows open. Without using any water, spread the whole bottle of Soft Scrub all over the bathtub and without rinsing it let it dry for 20-30 min (you want to let the soft scrub "bake" into the surface). After 1/2 an hour add a cup of bleach and mix it up with the dry Soft Scrub, let it dry again for 30 min. Rinse it off with warm water.

You will be amazed how well it works and how little elbow grease you need to do it.

Use C.L.R. or Kaboom, both work well if you spray 'em on & wait 10 minutes or so, then spray it again right before you scrub it with 1 of those green scrubby pads. Rinse with hot water. If the caulk is turning black, it's mold & you really can't scrub mold off caulk; you just have to strip it & recaulk. Regards, GF.

Back