How to clean a hop strainer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have used one of these for a while but as I don't have an effective and efficient way to clean it I have stopped using it.

Anybody have one and have a good way to clean it?
20210716_100622.jpg

Spray it with a hose sprayer, starting from the outside of the screen (pushing the particulates to the inside), then rinse out. Soak in PBW solution overnight, and spray it again.

If you clean it immediately after use, it shouldn't be difficult at all.

I also clean it with a hose sprayer to remove the silt and soak it in PBW. Then I use a stiff bristled brush on the outside, scrubbing the basket and pushing the bristles through on stubborn spots. Not 100% perfect but about 98%

I guess I could bring out the pressure washer but I'm sure I'd end up overdoing it and deforming or tearing the mesh. (Prediction based on the occasional stripped raw sections of my cedar back porch and deck.)

Wow. I used to use a 6x20" 400 micron ss spider and if I let it get that thick with resin it'd drain even worse than usual.

Yes, a hot (like 150°F) PBW soak is what it takes to remove that coating...

Cheers!

Back