How to clean a blow off hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
I had a blow off hose attached to the carboy cap a little longer than I wanted to, and when I removed it, and replaced it with a 3 piece air-locker there was all sorts of junk stuck inside it. I am curious as to how people clean these things.

26carboyBlowOff.jpg

cheers
-Chris

Flush it. Put one end in at the source of flowing hot water and the other end in the drain and let 'er rip. That, plus cleanser as above.

Soak in HOT water and oxiclean.

I was thinking about attaching a toothbrush head to a shoelace and pulling it through like a shotgun cleaner of some sort.

Something like this.

CM270a.jpg

I was thinking about attaching a toothbrush head to a shoelace and pulling it through like a shotgun cleaner of some sort.

Something like this.

CM270a.jpg

Now that's creative!! I don't personally own a shotgun, so I have to go with the old dunk in a hot water solution with Javex and push a bottle cleaner brush from end to end trick. My blowoff hose is 1 inch ID.

If it's vinyl tubing, buy a big roll at Home Depot (it's cheap) and replace it.

When things like soft plastics get grungy, I replace them. No sense getting an infection for fifty cents worth of tubing.

Back