How to clarify and back sweeten cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bathman

Reaction score
What are the best ways to clarify a cider and back sweeten a cider? I made a cider that came out bone dry and hazy

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What are the best ways to clarify a cider and back sweeten a cider? I made a cider that came out bone dry and hazy

To clarify, let it sit, or do a search for fining agents, there are a few different choices.

Back sweetening depends if you want carbonation or not?

Pectin Enzyme for clarity. Its typically used before or at the same time as yeast. It can still be added to help. Was the juice pasteurized and unfiltered? If so you may have a tough time clearing it. It will generally become clear 2 weeks into secondary but will still drop. How long has yours been sitting.

For back sweetening I dose sulfites and sorbates then add cane sugar to taste. If you do that you can't carbonate but that doesn't matter to me.

Pectic Enzyme has worked really good for me. I usually let it sit for 2-3 weeks in secondary until I see the amount of clarity I am looking for.

Pectic Enzyme has worked really good for me. I usually let it sit for 2-3 weeks in secondary until I see the amount of clarity I am looking for.

Its been hit and miss for me. My 1 gal batches it worked great on, my 5gal batches it didnt clear fast enough.

I just bought some sparkolloid and put that in my cider that has been in secondary for about 3 weeks, its been 24 hours and it didnt seem to work as well as ive seen in the youtube videos... :confused:

Another thing that helps is colder temperatures. Here in the midwest that means putting the carboy out in the Garage which is just above freezing. Also I have noticed the type of yeast makes a big difference. Ale Yeast doesn't seem to clear as much as the Champagne yeasts I have used.

Another thing that helps is colder temperatures. Here in the midwest that means putting the carboy out in the Garage which is just above freezing. Also I have noticed the type of yeast makes a big difference. Ale Yeast doesn't seem to clear as much as the Champagne yeasts I have used.

Thats called cold crashing.

Back