How to carbonate in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
Hey fello brewers. How do you carbonate in the corny keg? I have keg three beers so far and used a carbonating lid from more beer. I'm just looking for different techniques .. Cheers Shane

Put it in my system, 4 manifold, 11 psi, on one of the empty gas connections... Let it sit there for a week or two. So far everything has turned out great no overcarbing or issues.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

So just hook co2 into the in port of keg at 11 psi for a couple weeks and have a good carb ?

So just hook co2 into the in port of keg at 11 psi for a couple weeks and have a good carb ?

Yes, assuming the keg is in the fridge at about 40 degrees. It won't take a full two weeks, though.

I have my regulator set at 12 psi for my system, and I like that level of carbonation. My fridge is at 40 degrees.

Yes, i use 9 to 10 psi and can carb 4 kegs at a time in the kegerator.

10 to 14 days will give the beer time to carb up and get rid of that nasty co2 flavor also.

Cheers

Depends on your temperature check this chart:
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I think most people do 10-12 psi overall. I leave mine in there for a good week and check it, it seems to do well but after two it's really good... the more it's left honestly the better it turns out. It's hard to keep a keg in the fridge and not sample it though after a week ha... Just give it time.

Yes, assuming the keg is in the fridge at about 40 degrees. It won't take a full two weeks, though.

I have my regulator set at 12 psi for my system, and I like that level of carbonation. My fridge is at 40 degrees.

34-44 for me right now, mine is in the garage and with this cold weather it fluctuates a good amount. I have to mess with it being on/off and light bulb on/off to keep it right. When it's off from the normal 38-40 in the summer/spring/fall it's usually at I get more foam, but not too bad. I guess I should dial it back to 10 psi. The hefe has now been there for 6 weeks maybe and man it's perfect now in taste. I

I just keged northerns coffee stout. I also added a vanilla bean addition to it, i am using my carbonation lid for the keg, my keezer is set at 1.5 degrees centegrade "stc1000" darn thing dont have farenheit, but i starting out at 3 psi and bled all the air out of it so it was all juct co2, after the beer gets cold i will start raising the pressure about 1 psi over the next few days until i get to 15, after i get to 15 i will release pressure and put on the regular keg lid and go to about 10 to 11 psi and bleed the air out again and then let it sit anr ripen up and get rid of that "green" taste, that is a force carbonating way, my lemon grass wheat will be getting keged next weekend or the weekend after just depending on the clarity and i think i will try slow carbonating like yall are saying

I just keged northerns coffee stout. I also added a vanilla bean addition to it, i am using my carbonation lid for the keg, my keezer is set at 1.5 degrees centegrade "stc1000" darn thing dont have farenheit, but i starting out at 3 psi and bled all the air out of it so it was all juct co2, after the beer gets cold i will start raising the pressure about 1 psi over the next few days until i get to 15, after i get to 15 i will release pressure and put on the regular keg lid and go to about 10 to 11 psi and bleed the air out again and then let it sit anr ripen up and get rid of that "green" taste, that is a force carbonating way, my lemon grass wheat will be getting keged next weekend or the weekend after just depending on the clarity and i think i will try slow carbonating like yall are saying

When using the carb stone like that, you really should stop once you get to your serving pressure, or you'll overcarb it. What you're describing is carbing to ~3.0 vol, and then setting the serving pressure to match a beer that's carbed to ~2.6 vol. This typically results in the first pour of every drinking session being foamy until the carbonation is reduced to match the serving pressure.

When using the carb stone like that, you really should stop once you get to your serving pressure, or you'll overcarb it. What you're describing is carbing to ~3.0 vol, and then setting the serving pressure to match a beer that's carbed to ~2.6 vol. This typically results in the first pour of every drinking session being foamy until the carbonation is reduced to match the serving pressure.

Why it's just easier to just put,at serving pressure and wait IMO. Takes longer but no issues, knock on wood.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

you are correct I have had problems with foam problems,, but normally the first pour of the night is perfect then the rest of the pours for the night are way to foamy, I normally serve to 10 to 11 psi I have about got to 10 psi I think tomorrow morning I will bump it to 10 psi then tomorrow night take the carb stone out and set serv pressure at 11

I always force carb at 3x serving pressure for 24 hours.

Check at 18-20 hour mark. Adjust as appropriate. Some take 18, some take 24, some take 30 hours (depending on style).

Back