How to carbonate having filtered?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudblue

Reaction score
Until now I have brewed the conventional way by adding priming suger and bottling in glass or plastic. I am wanting to start filtering my finished beer prior to bottling but will obviously need to change my carbonation method. I do not want to got to kegging at this time. My question is.....is there a home unit which will carbonate bottled beer? Would a soda stream do the job? Thanks everyone

How exactly are you filtering the beer? Normally people that filter will use 2 kegs and a filter inbetween. You say you want to filter but then say you dont want to go to kegging....

One of the benefits of using kegs to filter is that its a closed system and you can purge all the o2 out so there is no chance of oxidation.

Also, no a soda stream will not work. I think they carbonate the water first then it mixes with the syrup. If you mixed it with syrup first then tried to carbonate, it will be straight foam, which is what would happen if you tried with beer.

I enjoy having my beer in bottles for ease of transportation. I was thinking of using a Buon Vino mini jet that is use for wine making.

I just looked that thing up and its $200. Why not just start kegging and filtering. I also watched a video of that thing and id much rather be moving the beer with co2 pressure and in a closed system purged of all o2.

I also like to give my beer to friends and family so i still bottle but i do it from the keg with a beer gun. Also there isn't any sediment and they can just drink from the bottle if they want.

I already own the filter because I use it for.wine. so you are saying I could keg the beer and then bottle from the keg? Any idea how long the bottled beer will hold its carbonation? Same as the priming method?

I already own the filter because I use it for.wine. so you are saying I could keg the beer and then bottle from the keg? Any idea how long the bottled beer will hold its carbonation? Same as the priming method?

Yes, if done correctly the bottles will hold carbonation just like any bottled beer would.

You can use the buon vino, if you don't use the "sterile" pads, and still bottle carbonate. You can use the coarse or medium, and it won't filter out the yeast.

If you use the sterile pads, you can add a tiny bit of yeast at bottling when you add the priming sugar. I do that with my lagers- add 1/3 package of dry ale yeast in the cooled priming solution- so they carb up.

Yes. Co2 is co2 whether it's forced into the beer with a tank or created from left over yeast that have consumed priming sugar. Kegging is superior to bottle conditioning in every single way except initial start up cost.

Kegging is superior to bottle conditioning in every single way except initial start up cost.

pshaw... how can you know true joy unless you've been hunched over 48+ 12 oz bottles for an hour, wing capper in hand, and communed with the beer gods?

/don't keg
//hate bottling
///no room for kegerator :(

pshaw... how can you know true joy unless you've been hunched over 48+ 12 oz bottles for an hour, wing capper in hand, and communed with the beer gods?

/don't keg
//hate bottling
///no room for kegerator :(

I know you are being sarcastic but....
I do get to have my zen like bottling experience, although instead of having to wait a couple of weeks for perfectly carbonated beer it only takes only a few days to carbonate and maybe 30 minutes with a beer gun and "ta da" I can crack open a bottle of sediment free perfectly carbonated beer and pour it into a glass and enjoy :rockin:

Thank you for all the replies guys. Some great advice. I may try running a couple beers through the filter next batch. Maybe looking into kegging for the future.

Another side note about being able to give beer to friends from a keg... I keep a lookout for resealable bottles/jugs/growlers so I can hand them out to family and friends and not really worry about getting them back. Most of the time they keep it for refills anyway. Saranac has a pumpkin ale out right now that comes in a 32 oz jug for $4-5 bucks. I usually get a couple of those a year and use them to hand out beer to people. I've been able to save up a little stash of them over the years.

Back