How to Back sweet a bitter stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43North

43 Degrees North
Reaction score
How do you back sweeten a bitter stout with lactose before bottling without introducing extra oxygen when trying to break up all the clumps?

Work out how much lactose and priming sugar, Boil some water ( that will get the oxygen mostly out of it) say 200 ml, dissolve your lactose and priming sugar in it. Let it cool and then say 5ml per bottle for 40 500ml bottles will get you there. The secondary ferment will use up the oxygen anyway.

Work out how much lactose and priming sugar, Boil some water ( that will get the oxygen mostly out of it) say 200 ml, dissolve your lactose and priming sugar in it. Let it cool and then say 5ml per bottle for 40 500ml bottles will get you there. The secondary ferment will use up the oxygen anyway.

Working out the lactose is my problem. The receipt tells me how much priming sugar to use but as a newbie, what strategy might I use to work out the proper amount lactose? Lactose is non fermentable correct?

Thanks DuncB in advance.

Tricky, one way would be to dissolve some in the uncarbed beer and adjust to taste. But the beer will get more bite once carbonated so that might not work.
What was your original gravity?
Recipe I've just copied had a lactose addition which I didn't bother with as I was making a lower OG version of it and wasn't after that milk stout effect.
But it was intended to be 20 litres, OG 1073 and final 1022 with 0.5 g / litre of lactose.
Another milk stout recipe from craft beer for the geeks has 0G of 1062 without lactose and FG of 1019 without lactose. With lactose those numbers are 1070 and 1027 most irritating it doesn't say how much lactose so you'd have to work that out with a brew program.
Stout is meant to be bitter from the malts though.

Tricky, one way would be to dissolve some in the uncarbed beer and adjust to taste. But the beer will get more bite once carbonated so that might not work.
What was your original gravity?
Recipe I've just copied had a lactose addition which I didn't bother with as I was making a lower OG version of it and wasn't after that milk stout effect.
But it was intended to be 20 litres, OG 1073 and final 1022 with 0.5 g / litre of lactose.
Another milk stout recipe from craft beer for the geeks has 0G of 1062 without lactose and FG of 1019 without lactose. With lactose those numbers are 1070 and 1027 most irritating it doesn't say how much lactose so you'd have to work that out with a brew program.
Stout is meant to be bitter from the malts though.
That’s why I decided to brew my own beer because many of the steps available to meet or bitter. So as a principal, I don’t like bitterness, in humanity or my brew. Haha

I’m thinking of dividing a pound of lactose among my 40 to 48 bottles of beer at bottling time.

That’s why I decided to brew my own beer because many of the steps available to meet or bitter. So as a principal, I don’t like bitterness, in humanity or my brew. Haha

I’m thinking of dividing a pound of lactose among my 40 to 48 bottles of beer at bottling time. By diluting in 400 ml of boiling water with my bottling sugar

Stout isn't a great choice if you don't like bitterness. But why not different dose the bottles and that way you will be in much better state for the next brew.

Back