How to arrange elements in my pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.G.

Reaction score
Hi All
I want to build my pot with the Heating element, Faucet with Dip tube, Temp Sensor, and whirlpool arm.
Can you please help locating them in the pot? Hight, location in pot etc... , if someone can do a drawing it will be amazing :)
Thank you very much

If you can place it more to one side, it will improve the boil by creating a stronger rolling action.
Thanks, What do you mean by one side? put the whirlpool right above the heating element?

By ‘one side’ I mean having the element not located in the center of the kettle.

But even as I say that, the element in my kettle is in the middle. But I do still get sort of a twin ‘roll’ in my kettle. If I had bent the element so that it was closer to one side of the kettle, it would create a single, bigger rolling action in the kettle. That brings more wort to the surface in the kettle where things like DMS can escape.

I have been trying to figure out this exact same question. I think this arrangement is ideal as the return (in theory) clears any stagnant wort areas below the basket and pushes it around through the heating element, past the temperature probe, and back to the pickup. Sensing temp directly after the heating element in the flow path would seem to be ideal as it would prevent any overly large "hotspots".

What I have seen on other threads is that usually the whirlpool points towards the pickup in order to clear any debris from it to ensure cleaner wort pickup when draining the kettle. I think the temperature accuracy probably trumps this, and that trub dam might make make it moot entirely.

@Bobby_M Do you sell that trub dam? Does the whirlpool return 50% capacity (shared with mash recirc) effectively eliminate the possibility of a dry fire?

The dam is only marginally effective. I think a piece of circular bent flat bar that goes nearly all the way around with a gap opposite the drain side of the kettle would be more effective.

In addition to the three way T style valve on the whirlpool, I also have a ball valve on the recirculation path so I can throttle the mix any way I want. I haven't dry fired since building this rig.

Back