How to add nutrients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
How am I supposed to add nutrients to the mead? Should I just dump it in, stir, shake, etc? I heard its bad to introduce more oxygen into the mead, something about messing up the flavor and oxidizing it. It'll be at 48 hours tonight when I put more DAP and Fermaid K into it.

I boil & cool about a cup of water & mix in the nutrients & such. As this is still an active ferment, you shouldn't have any problems with oxidation if you just pour the mix into the carbouy. Regards, GF.

If you dissolve them in a little warm water, you won't be as likely to cause a lot of foaming and a mead eruption accident. Oxidation is not a problem at this stage of fermentation, and in fact, adding oxygen is necessary for maximal yeast growth. You probably should aerate it well as you add the nutrients.

Medsen

Thanks for the help, in that case I'll just boil and cool a bit of water and give it a good stir.

Back