How to add hops/straining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zappa42

Reaction score
I got my first beer kit that has a mix of extract, grains in a mesh bag and several small sealed packs of hops (got to love Austin Home Brew:rockin: ). Anyway, I went through the instructions and everything is pretty clear. The only thing I am not sure about is the hops. It gives instructions when to add them to the wort but I do not see anywhere where it states when you remove them. Do you strain them out when you are adding to wort to the fermenter or do they need to stay in the primary during the first week?

Thanks

Straining hops from Wort when pouring into fermenter. Any tips?? I used panty hose last time and that didn't work. Now, before fermentation even started there is a bunch of nasty crud at the bottom of the carboy:mad: , and I still left a decent amount (a centimeter deep or so) of wort in the pot.

Short answer... you dump the hops right into your boil at the specified times.

Now, there are different schools of thought... some folks do not strain their wort and put everything into primary. Others (like myself) do filter out the trub and hops from the boil kettle... for me, it's the first step in the clarification process... again, others think beer sitting on trub for a week can affect taste/quality.

Finally, some put their hops in a steeping bag or other ingenious device, and float them during the boil... there you will not have as much to strain out.

Hope this helps.....

If you toss them in, you remove them via racking and/or whirlpooling.

If you put them in a bag during the boil you can eliminate alot of the hop material at the expense of some utilization.

Straining them prior the fermenter is not as easy as it sounds. Filter material clogs easily.

Mr. Awesome said:
Straining hops from Wort when pouring into fermenter. Any tips?? I used panty hose last time and that didn't work. Now, before fermentation even started there is a bunch of nasty crud at the bottom of the carboy:mad: , and I still left a decent amount (a centimeter deep or so) of wort in the pot.

This is my RDWHAHB approach to this problem with AG brewing.

1) Formulate recipe for 6 g final volume in the pot after the boil
2) Use a hop bag for whole hops
3) After the boil drain the hop bag and let stand for 30-60 minutes
4) Drain off (or siphon if you don't have a valve on your brewpot) 5g of crystal clear wort - yes that leaves a gallon behind but it is mostly trub/hop debris

GT

Zappa42 said:
I got my first beer kit that has a mix of extract, grains in a mesh bag and several small sealed packs of hops (got to love Austin Home Brew:rockin: ). Anyway, I went through the instructions and everything is pretty clear. The only thing I am not sure about is the hops. It gives instructions when to add them to the wort but I do not see anywhere where it states when you remove them. Do you strain them out when you are adding to wort to the fermenter or do they need to stay in the primary during the first week?

Thanks
I use a lot of leaf hops. I use a stainless stainer in a large funnel to strain the wort through. Before I pour the wort in I'll scoop up some of the hops to cover the strainer. The leafs then help form a filter bed to pour the wort over.

hop_bag%20003.jpg

Back