How to Add Apples into Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
Im looking for the best method of adding sliced apples into a secondary fermenter. Also how many apples should be used in a 2.5 gallon batch? And does that number change if other ingredients are also going into the car boy?

I think you could slice and peel the apples then pasteurize them and they would be safe to add to secondary. They would probably be safe regardless, honestly. I think apples will probably give off a ton of aroma. I would go with maybe a quarter of an apple in the secondary. Though, what type of beer are you putting it in? The amount you put in the 2.5 gal batch will probably vary if you have other fruit you're adding to the batch.

I've been thinking about making an ESB with apples in the secondary. Let us know it turns out.

Its a saison. We were actually thinking off slicing them then freezing them for a few days. After that we were gonna bake them with cinnamon and brown sugar then add them too our secondary along side vanilla bean and potentially maple syrup. We are trying to get a taste of apple pie. Not sure if this is the best method or not...

I don't think I would worry about the baking. I would add it all (vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, and apples) to the secondary, and perhaps the maple syrup and brown sugar to the primary.

I like the idea of coating the sliced apples with ascorbic acid to prevent browning and then fully freezing them before pitching them into the beer. I wonder if pureeing them first would help to intensify the flavor.

Back