How to add an orange flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanPC

Reaction score
I'm considering brewing a NB cream ale and was thinking of an addition to give it some orange flavor. Any thoughts of what would be good to use and when to add it in. This would be an extract kit.

I am a brand new brewer, so I don't know all the tricks, but I just brewed up a Belgian Wit. I added orange peel for the last 10 mins of the boil. I have also read that some people add it to their secondary, if you plan on using a secondary...

Jim

I did one with lemon over the summer. Use a veg peeler to take off strips of orange zest make sure not to get any of the white stuff under the zest. Put them in the boil the last 5 minutes. That gave me a good amount of lemon flavor.

I did a blood orange wheat beer recipe that used 5 blood oranges cut into chunks with 2 peels from those same oranges, all heated with a cup or two of water to about 180 to sterilize and added right to the primary. Came out very good. On another brew I've used orange zest added in the last few mins of the boil. If you do this be careful not to get the white part, it's way too bitter. An easier way is to buy dried orange peel from the LHBS. Most have both bitter and sweet.

How many lemons/oranges did you use? Do you need to dry them first?

I have moved to a 10 minute and 2 minute addition...using 2 oranges per addition (per gallon). That can add up fast on large batches, you might consider raking your beer onto orange puree or marmalade in a secondary

Could I also toss some fresh peels, minus the white, into the secondary prior to bottling for say, 7-9 days?

Could I also toss some fresh peels, minus the white, into the secondary prior to bottling for say, 7-9 days?

Yes you can...I would try working with additions during your boil first but this will certainly get the job done

0.5-1 oz of dried orange peel for last 5 minutes of boil. easy and will give you a lot of orange flavor/aroma.

I would avoid actually heating up citrus fruit and fermenting it, just use zest. I have heard about beer smelling like vomit and tasting like prison hooch. I have soaked lemon and orange zest before in vodka, drained the vodka and added to primary or secondary. Worked great! 2 fruits worth of zest for a little hint up to 5 for a more pronounced taste. I made a pale ale with citra hops, lemon zest and over carbed it, called it Dandy Shandy. Nice hotweather drink.

I've used tinctures alot and if needed more flavor after fermentation is what's worked best for me.. Orange zest soaked in grain alcohol (everclear) added to secondary.. 1-2 oz is all....

I am trying to put together a Rye Pale Ale with an orange "flavor".

I don't want the orange to dominate the flavor rather just be able to notice that there's an orange flavor...

I was thinking 1 orange (zest) per gallon, plus cut the fruit up into chunks and throw that in the boil... Any suggestions?

I just did a blue moon clone that is an Alpha recipe (im revising now) went with .5oz coriander and .5oz dried sweet orange and it was spot on, THEN I added the zest of 2 naval oranges (no pith) from day 14 - day 18 and bottled. While the color and texture are correct, the Orange zest added to the primary even for only 4 days lent a VERY citrusy tangy "Tartness" that was a little undesirable for me, im at 18 days in bottles and the tartness is beginning to meld, but its not what I wanted, careful with zesting into your primary its gonna lend A LOT of the citrus oils you may not be expecting

not to sidetrack but curious would you be able to get a banana flavor by adding a banana to boil or do a vodka extract or dried banana chips....

a buddy did the orange in vodka method and turned out real well but he just added to much to the brew and was overpowering....

I ended up using the zest of 3 navel oranges, and over carbed it slightly. I added it tithe last 15 mins of the boil. Came out nice. Great aroma, not to strong of a citrus flavor. Let it sit in bottles for about 3 weeks. I'm happy with it.

To get the orange flavor to a summer ale, could you add oranges or orange peels to the second stage of fermentation?

Easy Orange Flavor:

One ounce dried sweet orange peel at 10 minutes. Note: Make sure to use the sweet dried orange peel, NOT the bitter.

Works well in an American wheat.

Pez.

How about dry hopping with citra hops. A great way to add citrus flavor to your beer and they are hops what's better than hops.

Latest posts

Back