How to add a circulating PC fan to my kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasttimes

Reaction score
I've got a Haier Kegerator that I have 3 kegs in. I'm starting to see a lot of ice buildup and I'm scared I'm about to find a frozen keg any day now. I've seen some posters talk about adding a PC fan to help circulate the cool air in the keg. I'm clueless when it comes to electrical work. Is there any step by step guides to tapping into a power line on a kegerator to make this work?

I found some 120v computer fans on the net last year. I simply cut the end off an extension cord and used butt splices to hook up the fan. Ran the cord through a small hole in the back of the collar and plugged it in. It's stays on all the time. If you want to use a low voltage fan you'll need to find something like an old phone charger that's output is the same voltage as the fan.

Most PC fans run at 12 volts, (although as Hammy says, you can sometimes find 120v ones). You need a low voltage source, which you won't find in your fridge.

Easiest is to take an old "wall wart", like a cell phone charger, laptop power brick, or something else that puts out around 5-12 volts, (look at the sticker to see what the "output" is). Cut the plug off of whatever it is and connect the wires to the wires from your fan. Hopefully, there's only two wires coming out of your power supply. There's no "wrong" way to connect them....connect them one way and the fan will run in a certain direction, reverse the connections and the fan will run the other way. Experiment to get the fan to spin the way you want it to.

Edit: Derp. Just re-read Hammy's response and now see he also references low volt fans. Oh well.

Back