How thin of a mash can I use when brewing a hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stein

Reaction score
I've been reading lots of threads about how brewing with thinner mashes tends to increase efficiency and the quality of the beer, and I'm ready to hop on board with the idea. It makes sense to me that the wort quality will be higher if the majority of it came from the first runnings.

Anyway, I've read a few threads where people stress the importance of running a thick mash when the grain bill has a lot of wheat present, but I never see the reason why. Why couldn't I use a mash of 1.75-2.0 (or more) when mashing wheat?

At some point the mash is too thin and the enzymes are not in good contact with the starches. This results in poor conversion.

There is always too much of something in brewing. Except hops. You can never have too much hops.

From all my research the simplified info is:

A thicker mash at higher temp produces a maltier brew while a thin mash at lower temp produces a drier brew.

IMO, if you get the mash too thin then you lose some of that great wheat flavor. ;)

As far as maida7's comment "you can never have enough hops", while this may be true on a lot of beers, Hefe Weizens only use bittering hops, no flavor or aroma hops. ;)

Don't forget the rice hulls...

As far as maida7's comment "you can never have enough hops", while this may be true on a lot of beers, Hefe Weizens only use bittering hops, no flavor or aroma hops. ;)

It was kinda a joke. It's human nature to think that if something is good then more of it is better. Not so with brewing. More is not better.

You certainly can overdo the hops in many styles. But try making a pliny clone. The amount of hops is crazy but the beer comes out fantastic.

It was kinda a joke. It's human nature to think that if something is good then more of it is better. Not so with brewing. More is not better.

You certainly can overdo the hops in many styles. But try making a pliny clone. The amount of hops is crazy but the beer comes out fantastic.

I agree with you. I was just pointing out that overhopping a Hefe Weizen is not recommended...especially a German-style HW (which is the ONLY kind in my book...). ;)

I have made a Hefe with a 2:1 water-grain ratio before with no problems. I do tend to agree that it led to a more dry finish and was a little boring all around. I did not have problems with conversion, though.

Back