how tall will plants get in the first year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
I've got Cascade and Willamette rhizomes to plant this year and was wondering how tall I can expect them to get the first year? I seem to recall reading somewhere that you can just use a 6-8 foot stake the first year...true or false?

Ultimately, I'm going to build a trellis system that will allow them to climb to 15 feet, but if I can put it off a year, I will!!

I had first year hops last year. There was no usable yield, but they reached about 16 feet in length grown horizontally on a trellis. Other members had better results in their first year, some worse. There seems to be a ton of variables.

I trained my first year plants up some lines attached to the eve of my shop, about 10ft. I was able to get away with it, they just bushed up at the top. I'm sure they would have gone 15 ft or more if they'd had the room. This year it will be a 17 ft trellis, I bet they'll reach the top but I can't co much higher. I put two 10' fence poles together last night and stood them up in the yard, my gosh! It's higher than the power lines going to my house (shielded).

I think climate and soil has a lot to do with it too...

Im willing to be that they will do better in the first year in Willamette Valley as opposed to somewhere in the South

I'd say about 10 - 12 feet for my cascades and willamette. Almost no yield (2 oz) on the one willimatte and about 6-8 oz on the two cascade i had. I used a lattice suspended by 4 posts about 7-8 feet above the garden bed by 2X2 posts. Once the bines grew taller than that, it was no problem to wind them around the lattice and drape them across the top.

A lot depends on climate, soil and general growing conditions too though. Whats most important is to keep them off the ground. I've seen people grow them along fences and such too. as long as you're not growing a whole sh*t load of plants, be creative, use them ornamentaly as well as for brewing. I keep threatening to build some sort of pergola over my patio and use hops for the shade they'll provide.

I planted Cascades and Willamette last year. Live in a condo so I couldn't get too elaborate without breaking the rules. I placed 2 trellises on my deck and let the hops climb up a cord and onto the trellis. That gave me about 8 feet off the ground. Once they reached the top, they just kept growing and winding around the trellis. I would say I probably had about 12 feet of growth overall.

I'm planning on a 12 foot vertical trellis. I'm going to let all the bines grow but limit them to 12 feet in hopes that they bush up and promote flower growth.

I planted 7 last year and only 2 produced cones. But they all grew over 10ft. I yielded about 2oz off my nugget and .25oz off my Northern Brewer. Like others have said it all depends on the size of the rhizome, the soil and amount of sunlight.

yeah my 1st years went 12-14 feet last year. They just sprouted this year and the bine looks really thick compared to last year. Hoping for a yield!

Hear in virginia mine got up to about 14 feet for the Magnum and like 5-7 feet for the Hallertau. This year the magnum and the cascade have already broken ground! I am not sure it was worthwhile planting the magnum. I wish I had just planted noble hops.

Hear in virginia mine got up to about 14 feet for the Magnum and like 5-7 feet for the Hallertau. This year the magnum and the cascade have already broken ground! I am not sure it was worthwhile planting the magnum. I wish I had just planted noble hops.

Why, you don't like the magnum for aroma?

Last year my Chinook and Nugget both reached about 15'--I had planned on 6' as instructed by hop sellers.

Myself, I now plan on letting my plants reach only 8-10' max, despite advice from the "experts" to let them go 25+' and pinch out all but about 3 bines.

That's all well and good for commercial growers whose interest it is to get as many plants in a given area, all growing UP! And--they have the professional equipment to harvest their crops that way.

I have heard from several backyard growers/homebrewers who limit the height and do not limit the number of bines growing.

May not produce as high a yield as the professionals, but likely fine for us smalltime homebrewers. After all, the "experts" claim 'no can do' here in Florida altogether. So much for the experts.

Reminds me of the drunk who was advised to stop boozing by his doctor or he would die--the drunk quickly informed his doctor that there are a helluva lot more old drunks around than old doctors.

I've heard that 6-8 foot first year thing as well, but it is total nonsense. All of my first year hops were more than double that height. The height didn't change much from year to year, they just got a LOT thicker and bushier.

Tom

Twenty foot on my first year fuggles. Height does not equate to yield though, I ended up with .3oz when it was all said and done.

Magnums tend to be slow starters. Just be patient. I got some cuttings from a friend. I did not get much yield the first year, but his 3 year old plants produced well. Magnum is a good bittering hop - you can use it beers with noble hops for flavor and aroma - and it will not overwhelm the other hops.:mug:

How many bines did you let grow? I'm doing a Cascad in a 25 gal pot this year and was thinking I should only let 2 bines grow.

Depends on how many bines you get. I ended up running 6 from my first year fuggles. Two on each line and one up the center post. I think I had 9 total. This year I have 19+ shoots already, and I'll probably save the 6 strongest again.

I'd say 4 minimum, two shoots doesn't leave much room for error if one dies.

Depends on how many bines you get. I ended up running 6 from my first year fuggles. Two on each line and one up the center post. I think I had 9 total. This year I have 19+ shoots already, and I'll probably save the 6 strongest again.

I'd say 4 minimum, two shoots doesn't leave much room for error if one dies.

I guess I was thinking that the more shoots the more root system needed and the faster it would get root bound in a pot. So I thought keeping it to 2 total (one each line) would maximize the growth and production of those two. That was my thinking though, and I dont know what I'm doing...just a hop growin' noob! If you had success in a pot with 6+ bines then it must work!

It never really crossed my mind about the chance of one dieing but it's something I need to keep in mind.

Starting to worry about my recent order for rhizomes after reading this thread. Just bought a house and 4 rhizomes for the backyard. We live in a "close" neighborhood and I have a somewhat small backyard with criss-crossing power/telephone lines. I was honestly hoping I could put up a post at no more than 8'. All you guys are talking about growth nearly 3 times that size.

Is it possible for me to still be successful with an 8' post? Would you recommend training the bines back down the wire, or how would you do it? I've also thought about doing it like container guys where they have the eye hook at the top and actually lower the vine down once it reaches the top to allow additional growth. All the extras bascially coil up at the bottom of the plant as you lower it more and more... Any opinions out there for me guys?

Starting to worry about my recent order for rhizomes after reading this thread. Just bought a house and 4 rhizomes for the backyard. We live in a "close" neighborhood and I have a somewhat small backyard with criss-crossing power/telephone lines. I was honestly hoping I could put up a post at no more than 8'. All you guys are talking about growth nearly 3 times that size.

Is it possible for me to still be successful with an 8' post? Would you recommend training the bines back down the wire, or how would you do it? I've also thought about doing it like container guys where they have the eye hook at the top and actually lower the vine down once it reaches the top to allow additional growth. All the extras bascially coil up at the bottom of the plant as you lower it more and more... Any opinions out there for me guys?

It should do fine, its just going to get bushier down at the bottom of the vine. People tend to forget that hops have been growing for thousands and thousands of years without the help of a trellis. :) I did my first year with around a 8 foot post on a barn and they both grew up to that point and then got bushier and grew outward.

I would do what you can with the size of the pole and if it gets to the top, lower the vine and let it coil up at the base of the plant. Just make sure it gets dry enough after rains and waterings so it doesnt get mold and mildew.

Back