How sure of your recipes when posted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno, my take on it is...I personally don't think it's good for people new to say brewing AG sift through 100 APA recipes to find a good one (Not that we have that here, but I have seen such things online). It is my hope that people would post things that are recipes of excellence that are repeatable and stand the test of time.

That's just my take on it. I personally won't submit a recipe until I feel that it has stood under my own rigorous testing (probably meaning years, because it takes me a LONG time to revisit brews....I still have probably a dozen or more recipes from my own noodle I am dying to try...). I mean, was it a fluke of process that led the beer to be outstanding in my estimation? If so then I need to go back and recreate that from my notes. Is it truly something that I would love to share with others (as opposed to just 'having a recipe in the HBT database')?

Perhaps what would be better is an internal rating system available to registered forum members who have brewed the recipe in question. Like a star system.

I've brewed all of mine at least once, if not several times, and each turned out well with one exception - the Czech pils. I'm quite sure of the recipe since it's very traditional, but my techniques were sub-par the only time I brewed it.

Now that the database is more established, I won't be so quick to post another recipe. However, if it turned out very well, I wouldn't hesitate to post it after a single batch.

zoebisch01 said:
Perhaps what would be better is an internal rating system available to registered forum members who have brewed the recipe in question. Like a star system.

I think THAT's a good idea, as well as feedback in the recipe thread from those who have either sampled it or (ideally) brewed it.

Face it, we're never ALL going to decide on the criteria for what recipes belong in the database and which do not; what I think is an outstanding beer, others may not enjoy. Some people like sweet IPAs, I might say a sweet IPA is way too cloying.

Feedback, though - feedback from the community, since we tend to share a lot of beers, both in person and through swaps - is what can make the database such a great resource.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01

the_bird said:
I think THAT's a good idea, as well as feedback in the recipe thread from those who have either sampled it or (ideally) brewed it.

Face it, we're never ALL going to decide on the criteria for what recipes belong in the database and which do not; what I think is an outstanding beer, others may not enjoy. Some people like sweet IPAs, I might say a sweet IPA is way too cloying.

Feedback, though - feedback from the community, since we tend to share a lot of beers, both in person and through swaps - is what can make the database such a great resource.

That is a good idea. I didn't start this thread with anything on my mind except from keeping the database from turning into "the Cat's Meow"( http://brewery.org/brewery/cm3/CatsMeow3.html )

I can tell you I've made more "bad idea:confused: " beers than I've made really good beers, and only the best got put on here.:ban:

i still have yet to post any recipes. i should really put my Blood Ale and my Cream Ale on there, though :D

Even though, i've only brewed the Cream Ale once, it's a winner! I'll post it after i make my 15 Gallon batch.

EDIT: I'll also put my American Wheat on there once I brew it again ;)

Well, the recipe shows up as a thread, and threads already have a rating system and a prost system. I think that works already. What I was suggesting was a way for the brewer and poster of said recipe to provide a honor system rating of the recipe right off the bat.

Bobby_M said:
If you want a tried and true, proven recipe, buy Jamil's book or buy a kit from AHS. I don't understand the snobbery. If I post a recipe, and you've never had any of my beers, I wouldn't expect you to brew it. If I post one that is still in progress, I'll note that it's untested. If it sucks, I'll go back and say it. If you really think they should only be award winners, house specialties, etc, I might as well take mine down. I rarely brew the same recipe twice.

Maybe the answer is a separate required field with a dropdown that lists certain attributes like:
Comp BOS
Comp 1st
Comp 2nd
Comp 3rd
Peer Recommended
Brewer Recommended
Untested
Bobby, I think you are the exception and not the rule when you say that you let people know that your recipe is untested or that you think it might suck. If everyone did this, I don't think we would even be having this discussion. I guess I don't necessarily think it needs to be only award winners in the db, but I use that as a criteria myself (award winning or at least positively peer reviewed). I make a lot of different beers and although I think most of them are pretty good, I would hate to post it and have someone take the time to buy ingredients and make it just to find out it doesn't meet expectations.

I like the idea of some type of attribute system like above as opposed to a rating after you have tried it (or maybe a combination of the two). There may be some newer folks here that make great beers but no one takes the time to try making one even once since the poster is not well known.

If I was to use a recipe here. I would add it to Promash or whatever software you have on hand. I use this to make sure all of my stuff checks out all right.

I'm guessing it won't help if you select a recipe that has a lot of grains low in enzymes and it requires step mashing, but the creator did or suggested an infusion.

How likely is that to happen? What malts are under modified?

Back