How strong is htis stuff, 1.2kg sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blagooba

Reaction score
Hi i made a simple batch of welches wine with 1.2 kg of sugar (inc that in the juice) and am curous to how storng it is, The initial reading was between 16-17 % ABV and now fermenting seems to have stopped at 1.030 on th ehydormeter shown n the picture provided, how strong roughly will my brew be?

photo-11.jpg

What was the initial reading (ex. 1.12, 1.095, etc)? Are you holding your hydrometer in the picture, or is that floating freely? If that's floating freely, that would mean your current gravity is 1.082. That seems like it's in the middle of its fermentation.

sorry the picture was just to show the hydrometer really it was a bit stupid, the reading now is 1.030 and it started on 16.5% ABV ( the hydrometer is actually n the demijohn and i cant get it out yet)

sorry the picture was just to show the hydrometer really it was a bit stupid, the reading now is 1.030 and it started on 16.5% ABV ( the hydrometer is actually n the demijohn and i cant get it out yet)

I don't have a hydrometer in front of me, but the 16.5% is the potential alcohol. What is the gravity reading that corresponds to that part of the hydrometer (I'm guessing around 1.125)? Spin it around and check the same level. Then you can use this:

http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv.php

If it is indeed 1.125, then your ABV currently is ~12.7%

Well, 16.5% on the triple scale hydrometer "translates" to an OG. Next time, ignore the potential alcohol scale and look at the specific gravity or brix scale. It looks like when you turn the hydrometer to look at it, that 16.5% PA would convert to an OG of 1.120.

Also, for next time, don't keep your hydrometer in the demijohn! There are many reasons- one is simply that fermentation produces crud that sticks to the sides and you may not be able to read it anyway. And if it has a little crud on it, it won't read correctly anyway, rendering it useless. Another reason is this- how are you going to get it out? And lastly, it's made of glass. If it breaks, you throw away the wine.

You use a wine thief (or a little racking cane, or a siphon, or a turkey baster) to remove samples from the demijohn as needed.

If your current SG is 1.030, that means you currently have a tad less than 12% ABV (alcohol by volume).

The formula for figuring ABV is (OG-FG) x 131 = ABV%

In this case (1.120- 1.030) x 131 = 11.79% ABV

It may or may not be done, depending on the ingredients and the yeast strain you used.

Rack whenever you have lees more than 1/4" inch thick, or after 60 days if you have any lees at all. Top up with a similar wine, and once it's completely clear and no longer dropping any lees at all in at least 60 days, it can be bottled.

it could drop the 30 points after degassing. If its at or close to 1.030 it's time for its first racking anyways.

as for getting the hydrometer out, after racking slowly fill the DJ with water and it will float out.

I wanted a mega strong wine to use as more of a cordial, I though 1.2 kg would be enough :/ let down to be honest..I used super woine yeast! I wanted at least 15 percent!

What is the name of "super wine yeast"? Not all yeasts have the capacity to ferment to 16%. Worse case scenario you could always fortify with some brandy or Everclear, etc.

BUT, if your wine had an O.G. of 1.120 and is at 68F, and has a finishing S.G. of 1.000 at 68F then you could expect an ACV of 16%. Just need to rack this to carboy, apply airlock and check it in another month.

Thanks, I thought it shoulb be around that, I used youngs super wine yeast! Hopefully when it degasses it'll drop a few notches. Thanks

Back