How soon can you use re-pitched yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewssuds

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, or has been answered previously (I did a search, but couldn't find a comprehensive answer).

I'm planning to re-pitch some yeast. I'm going to pour the yeast from my current batch into a sanitized jar, and use it for the next batch. I know the maximum storage time is about 2 weeks, but is there a minimum amount of time I should wait before I pitch (I'm planning to pitch within an hour or two of harvesting).

Or would I be better off just pouring the new wort directly on the existing yeast cake? (It's only about 1 week old).

I have poured right onto the yeast cake also and like Nurmey says...be ready for quite the fermentation. I mean you better use a blow off tube and not an airlock fermentation!

I have poured right onto the yeast cake also and like Nurmey says...be ready for quite the fermentation. I mean you better use a blow off tube and not an airlock fermentation!

Should I clean the primary in any way, or just pour as-is?

I'm brewing a Christmas ale that has a LOT of fermentable sugars... this should be interesting...

Back