How sensetive is the temperature range for an ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoNova130

Reaction score
I just got my first brew kit, the True Brew Brown Ale kit, and have some concerns about how my house's temperature will affect my first batch. I will be brewing this Saturday (Dec 11th) and my fermenting room (IE my office/new brewing room) is usually around the high 50's (roughly 54-58). The kit's recommending of 65F or anywhere between 60-75. I don't generally heat that section of the house to save on the gas bill, so will keeping it at a lower average temperature throw it off? I plan on keeping my thermostat at 65 but I know it'll be a little cooler (probably closer to 63). Will this throw my first batch off?

:D:D

keep in mind that the temperature of actively fermenting beer is a few deg f higher than the ambient air

yeah, should be fine. what kind of yeast, some work great at 63. Nottingham is a good example of one that can be at 58 and still chug away fine.

Different yeasts work at different temperatures. Google to find out what the range s for yours. It seems like it is 60-75.

Below 60 it will go dormant. It may look like it is working at the start, because the fermentation will generate it's own heat and keep the wort temp up, but once it gets about half way, it starts to slow down and doesn't generate as much heat. This is when it will slow or stop. Good news is, it just goes dormant, and will wake up again if warmed up. Also, the floor temp is what is important as this will dictate the wort temp, not the air temperature.

Most people like to ferment in the lower half of the temp range. Generally, the higher you go, the fruitier it gets, and can create fusel alcohols which can give you headaches .

Thanks for all the advice people, it's greatly appreciated! I've got the room to hold at a steady 65F (took some playing around with my thermostat but I got a nice even temp).

Are ales generally easier to brew for beginners? I'm partial to drinking lagers myself and didn't know if it's any more difficult to make a good lager as a beginner.

Lagering requires lower temps, usually below 50 degrees. I think that's the main monkey wrench for newer brewers. Personally, I've never lagered before because I prefer ales.

I just did a cream ale with nottingham in the mid 50's and it turned out super clean, no off flavors, so the lower temps might even be beneficial.

I just did a cream ale with nottingham in the mid 50's and it turned out super clean, no off flavors, so the lower temps might even be beneficial.

Only if lower temps are within the range of the yeast. Mid 50's will put a lot of ale yeast to sleep.

Thank's for all the help! It came out a little weak, I posted something to that effect in this forum when I first tried it. I'm hoping my second batch (2 days into fermentation) comes out a bit stronger) :mug:

Back