Saison How Rye I Am (Rye Saison) - 2011 - 1st Place Best of Show - HBT Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent recipe! Thanks

Brewed 10 gallons of this. One keg stopped at 1.003, the other is slightly dryer at 1.002. I prefer the dryer of the two and feel it's better to style, but both are great!
Next time I may knock the rye down just a tad, but that said this is still the most positively reviewed beer I've brewed so far. Even the BMC cult seems to like it! Also got a big compliment from a co-brewer of mine who's known in our home brew club for winning medals in this style on a regular basis.

Cheers!

Sounds great, I'm still new at this though, so its going into my "to be made" file for when I am a little more comfortable outside my partial mash zone. Thanks for sharing it!

My original plan was to brew this at the beginning of summer but of course time got away from me...and then my kegging supplies began coming together so I decided to wait until I had that completed...

So now I have 5.5 gallons in the fermenter as of Monday afternoon and that 3711 is going ballistic on it. I've never seen something ferment like this! My blowout tube is a constant stream of bubbles that doesn't seem to ever want to stop. I am so pumped to get this into my keg and pour my first draft beer.

I think I'm going to try something similar to this recipe, but I'm going to use The Yeast Bay's Saison Blend instead of 3711. It's a monster attenuator as well, I brewed a 1.065 pumpkin saison with it last Saturday and last night it was already down to 1.008. Cheers!

I kegged my batch about a week ago and while it is still a little flat, it is super tasty and the creamy mouthfeel is unreal. I can't wait until it is properly carbed up so I can enjoy it with proper carbonation.

brewed today, had a lot of problem during the mash due to the rye (i think) even if i increased the percentage of rice hulls! mashed very low and add some sugar to compensate the terrible efficiency!

i think i'll have a very very high attenuation! i hope in a great beer!

thanks!

This recipe has fascinated me since I first saw it. Now I'm ready to go. Planning two changes though.
1) This will get fermented on a big yeast cake from a prior batch, so some of the esters from underpitching may go missing
2) This will get a slightly more aggressive hopping with all Nelson Sauvin. Based on the tastes I've had of this hop, It should be a great match for this grainbill.

Don't pitch on a yeast cake you will be grossly overpitching. Calculate how much you need using yeastcalc.co and measure it out.

Just completed brewing this, my first Saison ever.

Ended up going with 20% more Pilsner malt since that's what my LHBS gave me. Cannot find rice hulls around here, so went without it. Of course it stuck, but not too bad. Flushed it with some extra hot water, re-stirred, re-vorlaufed and was off to the races.

No krausen on my starter, but I never get that anyways, dunno why... thought it might have been different with this yeast thou.

Did a slighly larger batch than normal due to the extra Pilsner malt I got, so it'll be interesting to see if I have enough head space.

Edit: lots of activity in the airlock this morning, about 12h after pitching.

Hey guys, I love this thread.

I did a split batch so I can dry hop one. I'm gonna throw about 1/2 oz EKG in secondary (4 gal), as I think they'll play really well with the rye, hopefully not overwhelm it.

My question is this: how long should I keep the hops on it? I want a nice spicy character, not a grass bomb. I plan on kegging. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Bottled mine this week end, start al 1064 finished al 1000! 8,4 abv!
I have to let it age a bit? I'm a little scared by alcohol

Hey guys, I love this thread.

I did a split batch so I can dry hop one. I'm gonna throw about 1/2 oz EKG in secondary (4 gal), as I think they'll play really well with the rye, hopefully not overwhelm it.

My question is this: how long should I keep the hops on it? I want a nice spicy character, not a grass bomb. I plan on kegging. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Anywhere from 4-7 days is typical. But I have seen a lot of people doing a second dry hopping in the keg, and that's gotta stay there for a while...

I've skimmed through this thread, so apologies if this has been answered already, but what is the SRM that people are getting out of this recipe? iBrewmaster is telling me it's going to be about 19, which almost seems like brown ale territory!

I tried to mash at recipe's temp but i've got some problem of stucked mash and my temp changed a little bit...

Mine is around 5/7 srm, I think that I used a too light sugar ( I used the darker one but It wasn't enough dark! )

What was your mash temp?

I can't speak for him, but you always want to mash low with saisons. I usually see 146-148 for a crisp lean body. My first one I did 150 and it didn't quite cut it for me.

I can't speak for him, but you always want to mash low with saisons. I usually see 146-148 for a crisp lean body. My first one I did 150 and it didn't quite cut it for me.

That's also what I thought. However, this recipe calls for 152.

I guess my more pressing question is actually what srm are people getting? 5-7 srm doesn't seem possible with the amount of dark candi sugar added.

I think that the dark sugar I find here is different from US dark candy...

Here you can see the color

20141101_151749.jpg

Maybe the darker color is from mashing higher than normal. I know that a lot of my Black IPAs look like brown ales until I ramp up to 168 to mash out. I know they didn't mash that high, but 4-5 degrees over 1hr could make a difference...

Maybe the darker color is from mashing higher than normal. I know that a lot of my Black IPAs look like brown ales until I ramp up to 168 to mash out. I know they didn't mash that high, but 4-5 degrees over 1hr could make a difference...

Nah, I haven't brewed it, I'm just talking about entering the recipe into my brewing software. It predicts 19 srm.

Brewed this twice in October. The first one we brewed as a truly classic funky Saison with WY3711. It was somewhere between refreshing and classic. The flavor pairing and percentages were perfect.

We then brewed a 10 gallon version with WLP720, 6 lbs Rye Malt, 16 lbs Belgian Pils, and 2 lbs of super dark premium D-180 candi syrup. We held the WLP720 at 64F for 3 days then let it rise to 70F on it's own. It ended up with a spicy-raisin flavor in a fairly dry ale that ended up like a mild rye toast with jam. This isn't the standard Belgian clone test we normally brew but man, hats off to usurpers26. The flavor pairings were exceptional. This is the best hybrid Saison style I've brewed to date.

Try a different software and see what it spits out. This one's free and my favorite. It lets you customize ingredients and has a great database of all grains/hops/yeast strains available:
https://brewgr.com/homebrew-recipe-calculator

Just tried that one. It predicts 18.3 SRM. So what's the story here? Is this an almost brown Saison? Why the 275 Lovibond candi sugar?

Just tried that one. It predicts 18.3 SRM. So what's the story here? Is this an almost brown Saison? Why the 275 Lovibond candi sugar?

Yes, it's a pretty brown. More like a Dubbel in SRM. I assumed that the candi "sugar" is the dark rock candi. Since Belgian rock has no flavor per se, (just sucrose with dye in it), we used dark candi syrup as a better adjunct.

Very interesting! Anyone else in this thread feel like posting a picture of their brew?

Hey all, if you scroll back in the archives of this thread somewhere I posted that the candi sugar was NOT as dark as noted in the orig recipe. I think it's like 75srm - overall beer is around 10srm - I couldnt edit the original recipe. Sorry to those who tried to follow it to a tee! But I bet it still turned out damn tasty :)

Hey all, if you scroll back in the archives of this thread somewhere I posted that the candi sugar was NOT as dark as noted in the orig recipe. I think it's like 75srm - overall beer is around 10srm - I couldnt edit the original recipe. Sorry to those who tried to follow it to a tee! But I bet it still turned out damn tasty :)

Doh!! I just brewed this last night! Couldn't find 275 Lovibond, so I used enough 180 Lovibond to get me to 18 srm. Lol oh well. It's a pretty color.

Just completed brewing this, my first Saison ever.

Ended up going with 20% more Pilsner malt since that's what my LHBS gave me. Cannot find rice hulls around here, so went without it. Of course it stuck, but not too bad. Flushed it with some extra hot water, re-stirred, re-vorlaufed and was off to the races.

No krausen on my starter, but I never get that anyways, dunno why... thought it might have been different with this yeast thou.

Did a slighly larger batch than normal due to the extra Pilsner malt I got, so it'll be interesting to see if I have enough head space.

Edit: lots of activity in the airlock this morning, about 12h after pitching.

Kegged this baby today, 1.001 from an OG of 1.052.

Doh!! I just brewed this last night! Couldn't find 275 Lovibond, so I used enough 180 Lovibond to get me to 18 srm. Lol oh well. It's a pretty color.

The odd thing about the 275L rock candi is that the Lovibond rating is for the sugar itself not the diluted color contribution (1 lb/gal). Kind of a twist when it comes to adjuncts. Using D-180 brought us up to a thumb color of 11 srm.

yes, i used this:

canditoscuro.jpg

I've seen this with a number of different Lovibond designations, (260, 275, 300L). It's basically sucrose with dye in it...and not a lot of color or flavor contribution. The liquid candi syrups or cassonades are a much better bet, (Amber or D-45, Dark or D-90, extra Dark or D-180).

the problem is that in Italy i can't find the liquid candi syrups :mad:

now i found a German website that sells it! the next time i'll buy it!

the problem is that in Italy i can't find the liquid candi syrups :mad:

now i found a German website that sells it! the next time i'll buy it!

you can always make your own candi syrup. I;ve read all you need is some sugar, some citric acid, and a candy thermometer. There;s a number of threads floating around with guides

Brewing this (or a version of it anyway...) for the final round of a knockout competition. I ordered the D-90, but really wavered back and forth between that and the D-180. Candi Syrup.

Anyone have pics and some notes on either version? I know multiple people have used each, but there really hasn't been any follow up on the beers after they are fermented and carbed.

Should be a cool beer to brew. I don't do much rye, but this one sounds really intriguing.

Brewing this (or a version of it anyway...) for the final round of a knockout competition. I ordered the D-90, but really wavered back and forth between that and the D-180. Candi Syrup.

Anyone have pics and some notes on either version? I know multiple people have used each, but there really hasn't been any follow up on the beers after they are fermented and carbed.

Should be a cool beer to brew. I don't do much rye, but this one sounds really intriguing.

I recently did a Rye saison that is easily the best saison I've done to date. The grain bill is pretty similar, but less simple sugars. I mashed a lot lower though, so the FGs come out similar. I made the beer centered around the peppery flavors of the saison yeast and tossed in a ton (for a saison) of hops to accentuate it. The rye is great for saisons. It gives it a nice silky body but is still so crisp and refreshing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/no-rye-more-reason-saison-507755/

Kegged this baby today, 1.001 from an OG of 1.052.

Had the first glass(es) of this last night... yum! It has a sweetness to it thou that I can't figure out, with such a low SG and all. It's very tasty, I was just not expecting it and doesn't understand it...

Anyone with a better understanding able to explain it to me?

Back