How old is too old for hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk025

Reaction score
So I have a package of hops left over from a brewers best kit I bought about a month or two ago and they have been sitting in my fridge still vacuum packed. Will they still be good to use to brew within the next couple of days?

I guess it depends.. I used some hops that had been sitting in my garage.. vacuum packed in a mylar bag.. for about 6 years. I used these Cascade hops as a "dry hop" and they still smelled wonderful and were still as green as current hop pellets. The taste and aroma turned out very well.

This is abnormal.. but, shows to go ya.. some things hold with age... :)

I hope so - I used some 2008 Saaz, courtesy of In-Bev or Budweiser or whatever you call it, in a batch last night (SaazRachi Ace Honey Kolsch). They looked good and still have good smell, so hopefully it will be good. I'm sure your hops are fine.

awesome to hear because I'm gonna do my first all grain soon and that will save a little money and measuring. Thanks for the fast replies

Back