How often do you replace your SS braid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzal8

Reaction score
I had my first stuck sparge today, it sucked! Took me about 2 hrs at least to drain my MLT and I still ended up about a 3 quarters of a gallon short of my target preboil volume.

Once I emptied out all the grain from my MLT, there it was, a completely busted SS braid. Stretched tight. Looks like I need to replace it. This was the sixth time I have used it since I put the thing together.

How often does everyone else replace their SS braids?

I replaced mine yesterday after a stuck sparge. Thing was, and I don't know how I didn't notice this before, especially when I was putting it together was the braid in there was nylon or something similar. Went to farm and fleet, got a real SS dishwasher hose for like $2.50. When I took the rubber hose out of the middle what I did was take a utility knife and cut 3 small sections of the rubber hose off and push it back into the braid at the beginning middle and end to act as a stint if you will. That way the grain can't crush the braid too much.

Most brewers don't ever replace...mine seems like new after about twenty batches. Are you stirring and stretching the braid??? Are some braids less durable than others??? I'm confused. Was your's SS and not the plastic??
Mike

z987k said:
When I took the rubber hose out of the middle what I did was take a utility knife and cut 3 small sections of the rubber hose off and push it back into the braid at the beginning middle and end to act as a stint if you will. That way the grain can't crush the braid too much.

Interesting, I was thinking about doing something like that.

wilserbrewer said:
Most brewers don't ever replace...mine seems like new after about twenty batches. Are you stirring and stretching the braid??? Are some braids less durable than others??? I'm confused. Was your's SS and not the plastic??

Ok interesting, I was hoping someone could point out what I am doing wrong with my process. I currently am using one of those large metal spoon as a paddle to stir the grains. When I start draining the MLT, I pull grains away from the opening of the cooler to help keep the flow going. It during this process that the spoon comes in constant contact with the braid, stretching it and causing it to close up tight.

Is this wrong to do?

jzal8,

In my experience there should be no need to pull the grain away from the spigot during the sparge. The way I understand it is to stir, let the grain bed settle, vorlough till clean and let it flow. The braid always runs easily for me and others I believe. Do you have a length of tubing on the outflow of the tun as this will pull the wort out by gravity? You are using a stainless braid and not one of the look a like plastic braids?
Mike

ps Go Gints!!!! Where ya brewin? I'm in Wall.

wilserbrewer said:
jzal8,

In my experience there should be no need to pull the grain away from the spigot during the sparge. The way I understand it is to stir, let the grain bed settle, vorlough till clean and let it flow. The braid always runs easily for me and others I believe. Do you have a length of tubing on the outflow of the tun as this will pull the wort out by gravity? You are using a stainless braid and not one of the look a like plastic braids?
Mike

ps Go Gints!!!! Where ya brewin? I'm in Wall.

Ok very good. I havent been attaching tubing to the spigot, but I will now. I guess the one reason I was continuing to vigorously stir during the emptying of the MLT was to get as much wort out as possible. I guess this is not neccessary?

Go giants indeed my friend. I am just round the corner from you in red bank :)

I have my original braid from 2 years ago. Once I start draining I don't mess with the grain bed. Tilt the cooler if you want more flow.

Jzal8,

Correct! no stirring during the draining of the tun. The idea is for the grains to act as a filter and trap small particles. Put about 3-4 feet of tubing on the outflow of the tun to reach the bottom of your brew kettle and the tun will drain much better!
Also, you don't really want the warm wort splashing around on the way to the kettle. (Hot side airation?? is a possibility)

Blender said:
I have my original braid from 2 years ago. Once I start draining I don't mess with the grain bed. Tilt the cooler if you want more flow.

Alright thanks for the advice. i've been going about it the wrong way.

Thanks for all the info. Time to replace my SS braid and go at it again next weekend. I think you guys just save me from picking up a dozen of those braids and replacing them every few weeks.

Thanks again :)

Back