How often do you fully disassemble your sight glass for cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently bought a Jaybird yeast brink which features a 3" sight glass. :ban:

It looks like disassembly/reassembly of the glass could be a bit fussy. How often do you take yours apart for cleaning?
Last batch I just dunked it in PBW and called it good...

I recently bought a Jaybird yeast brink which features a 3" sight glass. :ban:

It looks like disassembly/reassembly of the glass could be a bit fussy. How often do you take yours apart for cleaning?
Last batch I just dunked it in PBW and called it good...

I have the same 3" Yeast Brink Sight Glass and my process is similar to yours. After use, I immediately rinse it with hot water and then put it in a pale of ABW. Typically, I keep everything in the ABW soaking overnight or for a day. I have not felt the need to disassemble it for cleaning.

The silicone seal on the sight glass is a seal... The idea is as long as its not broken (which is more likely to happen from repetitive disassembly) there should be no contamination anywhere but the surface which can be cleaned with standard methods like recirculating cleaning solutions or a brush... I dont disassemble mine. the cool thing about the main body being glass and it holding liquid it you could see if the seal was damaged either from leaks or visual inspection.

Back