How often do you clean/sanitze your HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrismac676

Reaction score
I'm looking at various options for my electric build (thread here). Right now I'm thinking two vessel with no HLT due to space constraints, however I do have the option of installing an HLT out of the way above the rest of my equipment.

Given that it's just water in the HLT, how often does it need to be cleaned? Do people typically run sanitizer through it, or is a hot/boiling water fill enough?

If the HLT was 6+ feet above the rest of my equipment would I have any trouble pumping in a HERMS setup?

What needs cleaned out of it? It only ever has water in it. And it doesn't ever need sanitized since it's before the boil. You don't sanitize your grain do you?

I wipe out the water every time after I use it, with the diptube there is always a little bit left that won't drain out.

Also one time my boil kettle died on me so I used my HLT instead as the BK, worked great, cleaned it after that :)

I know it's pre-boil so sanitizing isn't really necessary, but I've always swished a bit of Star San around to prevent bad flavors that I *thought* might come from anything lurking around in there.

I really don't stress over it too much.

I use it to make the hot water for my CIP routine so it gets "onestepped/PBWed" with the rest of my kit.

Back