How often do you buy beer as a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtk78

I'm here for the beer!
Reaction score
Since I started homebrewing, I rarely buy beer anymore. I've created a steady stream of beers I want to drink. Usually the only time I buy beer now is if I'm out of town, out on the town, or see something I really want to try.

How has brewing changed your beer buying?

Not as much as I used to, that's for sure. Typically, anytime we go out of town and there is distro that I am unable to get where I live... Or some new beers are released by breweries that I love (Looking at you Sierra Nevada and your Oktoberfest!)

I always have a nice collection of bottles and cans, but I typically try to drink more of what I have on.

I'm totally off the grid. Maybe once every few months will I pick up an interesting six pack of beer.

When I am getting a recipe together for a style I have not brewed before or in a while I will buy various commercial examples of the style to help me settle on a target profile.

Much less beer purchased than before I started brewing though.

Every few months I grab a sixer of an eye catching variety, and that usually is when I have to replenish bottles.

For the house - rarely. I did buy a six of Jai Alai a month or so ago just because I love that beer and it just came out to CO. I will buy commercial if I'm going camping or something just because it's easier to deal with cans.

I try and keep several styles on tap or in bottle so I have plenty of options from which to choose.

I buy quite a bit of commercial beer for "inspiration". However, I rarely buy the same beer twice unless it's outstanding or I want to show it to someone.

I went 2 years without buying commercial beer for the house...then the baby was born and that has changed...trying to build the pipeline back up though see if I can't go another run.

I would buy beer if the SWMBO and I went out to eat or like others have said at a distribution area where I could get something I couldn't get at home...otherwise no buying beer for this guy

I've bought one beer this year, and that was to harvest the yeast dregs at the bottom of the bottle (although the beer was absolutely delicious).

We have a local market that gets "dated" craft beers and sells them for like $14 a case. Shoots I can't brew that cheap so I've been buying stuff like:
Firestone Walker 805 AND Easy Jack IPA
Sam Adams Ocktoberfest and Hopscape
Deschuts Variety Pack
Something called Hoppy Birthday (can't remember the brewery)

I'd like to add I will buy a beer style if I'm interested in brewing a style I haven't had a lot of examples from. In that case, I prefer to build my own 6 pack that's fairly common around here. I'll grab 2 or 3 beers of that style, and fill the rest with other stuff I've never had.

I have my equipment pretty set, no plans to purchase anything else. I can't see spending $8 to $16 for a six pack when I can get much more beer with the enjoyment of brewing it, brewing what I want, for much less money. Especially since I've spent a fair amount (but really nothing crazy due to buying used, diy, and having a relatively basic all grain setup) on getting the equipment.

I'm not surprised by these results at all, but I was wondering if I was the only one that has drastically reduced beer buying.
:mug: :tank:

After trying every style of beer available I have narrowed down my beers to stouts, porters and brown ales. I currently have all 3 styles of home brew in my spare frig. I do go to my local brewery every Saturday to drink a couple of their beers for ideas for my home brews.

But no, I seldom by off-sale beer.

I still buy beer. My wife loves Hop Hunter so there's almost always some in the beer fridge. Some beers I buy to harvest the yeast(brett mostly). And after 25 active years of brewing I admit there are some beers(many) that the pro's do better than I do. I have 8 beers on tap now, 7 of them are good(one is mediocre) but there will always be a place for different beers in my fridges.

With two little ones, brewing is currently a luxury, so I find myself buying maybe a six pack every week or two so I can keep trying new stuff and have some beer in the house

I generally brew beer I can't buy. For example, I love Nut Browns as well as Altbiers. I am an extract brewer and don't have lagering tools either. So, yes, I do buy beer. A pick-sixer about every month or two.

We'll buy a 12 pack of Coors once in a great while, mostly when we're partying with our friends or neighbors and need something to contribute. But I'll also bring a growler or two of my own to share. For home consumption, I'll get a bomber or two once in a while as well if it's a style we want to try brewing. When I used to dump my recycling into the big barrel outside it was loud enough to wake the neighborhood, now I'm lucky if I can fill the thing once a month, and that's mostly paper and cardboard. Nothing quite like the CRASH TINKLY SMASH of emptying a full recycling bucket...then moving quickly back into the house so I don't get judged.

We have a local market that gets "dated" craft beers and sells them for like $14 a case. Shoots I can't brew that cheap so I've been buying stuff like:
Firestone Walker 805 AND Easy Jack IPA
Sam Adams Ocktoberfest and Hopscape
Deschuts Variety Pack
Something called Hoppy Birthday (can't remember the brewery)

Oh god, 805.:(

I buy new-to-me beers all the time to try new things. But I buy SN Torpedo Extra every fricking chance.

I almost never drink something I didn't brew at home. I will take a couple bottles to the beach, places like that..

Batches of 1 gallon, so they last 1 week, 2 weeks at most. Buying different beers to train my palate.

Oh god, 805.:(

I buy new-to-me beers all the time to try new things. But I buy SN Torpedo Extra every fricking chance.

Yea the 805 is not the best, but I had to buy it to find out. Just like Obama Care. LOL

Sam's Club always has SN Torpedo on sale...well cheaper than the local market. LOL

I rarely have store-bought beer in the house; when I do it's usually one of my sons came across something and wanted me to try it.

Otoh, I generally don't bring my home brew with me when I travel, even if it was feasible.
Eg, when the whole extended family does Cape Cod Week it's all about store-bought...

Cheers!

I'm totally off the grid. Maybe once every few months will I pick up an interesting six pack of beer.

Depends on where you buy your supplies hahahaha might not be so off the grid. Although I like that way of thinking about it ..."off the grid brewer" I'll steal that now.

I think brewing provides me with quantity of beer, so that dabbling in single purchase of various bottles from regions I enjoy doesn't cost me a fortune.

It's harder to justify for some when you make beer $20-$40 a keg but that's exactly what makes the $12 a bottle purchase justifiable for me.

I'm happy to say that I've gotten this brewing thing cornered enough now that I enjoy most of my own brews more than at least half of what's available in the stores near me. Although some of the brews in that half I would enjoy more if they were my brews, my expectation is higher when you have a million dollar operation and mine is 3 grand.

When I'm at a bar for sure. I live in Wisconsin, and I like New Glarus, so when I notice something new from them I'll pick up a small pack to try. I really like their Yokel. When I don't have enough homemade to share with family I'll take a 12 pack of Spotted Cow for them, as they don't have easy access to it.

And usually when I go visit friends in Minnesota or South Dakota I'll put together a sample pack of Two Women and Totally Naked, because it is hilarious.

I often try to find examples of styles that I find intriguing, but that can be tough. I've been looking for some Biere de Garde, and Belgian Dark Strong Ale as I've made those styles, but I haven't had many examples so I don't know how well I did.

I like to buy the seasonal beers when they come out and also when I'm out of town. This week I'm in Iowa so there will be many toppling Goliaths in my future.

I like to have a lot of options. I only have two taps and one stomach so I buy a six pack of something else every couple weeks or so for the variety.

Typically some Miller lite or something like a founders all day for things like golfing, vacation, fishing, etc. Even then I often take some homebrew. I reserve my experimenting or drinking one of my favorites for times when I'm out and want something on draft. Rarely will i drink craft brew at home unless someone bought it for me.

There aren't many beers out there I enjoy drinking as my own. Plus, I can brew pretty much anything for under $0.50 a pour:)

I usually buy for styles I don't brew. This could be something experimental or something seasonal. I'll buy one or two bottles of Pumpkin beers every fall. That's about as much of it I want to drink.

Since I started homebrewing, I rarely buy beer anymore. I've created a steady stream of beers I want to drink. Usually the only time I buy beer now is if I'm out of town, out on the town, or see something I really want to try.

How has brewing changed your beer buying?

Never!

Next to never. I'll stock up on some BMC when I host (Super Bowl, Memorial day, the 4th, etc.) and my simpleton friends want beer, but not for regular consumption.

I assume you are referring to buying beer to bring back to where I am staying for consumption and not about buying at restaurants etc to consume there.

If I have all four keezer taps pouring as I do now I rarely buy commercial beer. I was in Florida for vacation on June 30th which was the last time I bought beer to go. If I didn't brew again the keezer pipeline would be full for at least another month so that would be 2 months straight without buying grocery beer.

As long as I have beer on tap, hardly ever. I'm even out at the moment and still haven't broke down to buy beer. I just need to get to brewing. 4 empty kegs. :(

Back