How often do I need to calibrate my refractometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzyvba

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, I have a question.

How often do I need to calibrate my refractometer?

Thank you

Thank you.

I think I need to read more about Refractometers.
However, I did some searches but found nothing about my question.

It doesn't hurt to check it every brew; but I found that if you have an ATC refracto; you only need to calibrate it once.

I check mine occassionaly just to make sure that water is ~0.0

its quick to do before every time you use it....i also find that very hot water throws mine off slightly.

for what it's worth - I've had mine for about a year - when it showed up it was calibrated, and I haven't needed to calibrate it at all.....

and mine was a Hong Kong special that I got on ebay...

Thank you guys for the help.

I can make my decision now.

Yeah, you shouldn't need to do it very often at all. However, since I always have some distilled or RO water around on a brewing day, it's no trouble at all to put a few drops on the refractometer and give it a quick check.

TL

Yeah, you shouldn't need to do it very often at all. However, since I always have some distilled or RO water around on a brewing day, it's no trouble at all to put a few drops on the refractometer and give it a quick check.

TL

You did not just say that :)

I didn't know you need to recalibrate it at all. I treat my pretty gently so I can't imagine you would need to recalibrate once-in-a-blue-moon unless it drops or is jarred. I don't even really understand the inner workings of the device.

Mine has ATC. I checked it when I got it 2 years ago from the factory and it was right on. I've checked it every few months when I'm bored since then. I have never had to recalibrate it. I treat mine pretty gingerly too.

Back