How often and at what volume is everyone brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last two years, I have brewed 8-10 times between January and April (stock up for the summer) and 4-5 times in the fall. Mostly 5 gallon batches and an occasional 10gal. That is a pretty sustainable amount for me.

Prior to that, I brewed 35-40 times a year for 15+ years. That was bordering on insanity, but I was involved in a few clubs that served at a lot of beer fests, so I had an outlet besides my liver. I also mostly worked from home, so I could usually multi-task a mid-week brew and keep weekends free for the missus :)

Last edited:
The last few years I’ve been averaging about 25 batches/year. Some 2.5 gal, most 5 gal. We divide our time between 2 residences, a farm in the middle of nowhere and a house in a city 250 miles away. I brew 5 gals at the farm, 2.5 gals in town where space is much more limited.

I’ve started brewing more smaller batches to keep more of a variety on hand. That means brewing more often. Oh, what a terrible burden to bear. ;)

So far this year I’ve brewed 12 batches, 7 2.5 gal, 5 5 g. I’ll probably end up brewing 35-40 times this year but about the same gallons as last year. I give a lot of beer away and have college age grandsons who bring strays home on the weekends. :cool:

On my 3rd year now, I went for quantity for my first 40 batches now I am trying to dial in my craft on quality over quantity.

I've done 4x 5 gallon brews so far in 2022 but that will change next month with lawnmower beer, octoberfest, and some high gravity stout

My goal is to have a few house recipes that I can do on the half-barrel rig and use the 5 gallon system for seasonal / specialties.

Oh, what a terrible burden to bear. ;)

if there's a forum color for serious....i got 10 gallons of beer finishing up, 10 gallons of sugar wash i'm hoping will finish at about 13-14% ABV...

i got sprouted barley ready to go in the oven to brew day after tomorrow for another 10 gallon batch when the fermenter is kegged....

it is a burden to me! but i'm glad i always walk around with a drink ready to throw in a dope pushers face when they pinch my ass and try ....well it's a labor of love :mug:

(for the record i brew ~50 10 gallon batches a year)

I'm really enjoying brewing smaller batches more often at the moment. 1or 2 half (12L/2.5gal) batches a week in my spare time is a breeze. Down scaling makes things much easier and more enjoyable, tbh. Pretty much rediscovering one of the best hobbies going, with more wisdom onboard. Priceless 👈

I try to brew every weekend. 5 gallon batches and at least 3 gallons a week are drank (drunk?) by my friends. I also bottle at times to give away to other friends/co-workers. I enjoy formulating recipes and the brewing process, but I can only drink a relatively small amount. Three fermentors and an 8 tap kegerator helps a lot.

10 gallon batches usually every other week for the past 5 years. Hit my 100 brews/1,000 gallon mark at the start of this year. Woo!

Attachments

• 20220313_110310.jpg
    20220313_110310.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
I brew once a month on my electric 3 vessel e-herms (Kal clone with keggles) on my back lanai. I make 13.5 gallon batches to have 10 gallons of finished product (two 5 gallon kegs). I have three older sons, family, friends and neighbors, who come over all the time and enjoy whatever I have on tap. I love making it and sharing it, and having a few myself!

John

due to the current restrictions, the last year-and-a-half, I've brewed a lot less than normal.
Usually around 12-20 20 liter batches a year, but last year only about 8 as i've had to drink it all myself mostly.

the last few years i was brewing 5.5G all grain HERMS batches once per month from Oct - Apr. During these months the overnight temp was cold enough to put 100L water on the balcony for wort chilling. The last few months I´ve been doing 10L batches split into 2 for yeast comparisons and really enjoying it. The smaller batches made me simplify the process (no HERMS or whirlpooling), meaning less equipment in the kitchen, quicker setup/cleanup and the ability to brew different beers sooner to try.

I try to brew every 2 weeks giver or take in order to have a pipeline of beers going. I brew a lot of lagers, so during Covid when working from home, I was pumping a lot of them so that while some were fermenting, others were lagering or on tap. With vacations and such, I wind up brewing 23-24 beers a year and a mead here and there. However, this month is a little crazy as I am brewing 4 beers...3 for National comp and 1 for a wedding.

Last year I brewed 11 batches at 5 gallons a pop. Most years though usually get around 5 or 6.

I'm more in to brewing than I've ever been though so the current trend may continue; I'm on batch 3 already moving on to batch 4 soon.

Not as much during the worst part of the pandemic, as we had few visitors to serve it to. Maybe once every 2 months or so then. Now it's about one 5-6 gal batch every 3 weeks to a month. Might knock out a couple in a row to get some summertime lawnmower beer in the pipeline.

My normal consumption is a beer with supper. I brew three gallons once a month. Although I may sneak in a batch of cider over the summer.

I started out brewing five gallon batches then switched to ten and again to fifteen gallons. After a buying a Spike conical I switched back to ten gallons and that seems fine for my consumption and saves a little wear on my liver. I brew every two months but now that summer "might" be coming that might change to every 4-6 weeks.

I am brewing every 2 weeks for a while now, have recently moved to kegging, and the plan is to brew 4 batches back to back to get 4 kegs filled, have batch 2 fermenting right now.
Then I will go back to my usual regimen of brewing every 4-6 weeks, 18L( final packaging volume) and 11L batches for my smaller kegs and bottling.

Every 2 weeks, 5 gallon batches. I take the winters off, so it equates to ~20 batches/year.
I share a lot with friends and local brewers, bring it to homebrew club meetings, etc.

Back