How much yeast!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy92

Reaction score
Ok guys so i've stretched my BIAB homebrew career into brewing a biger double IPA. I have now completely confused myself with how much yeast to pitch.

Its a small 5.7L/1.5 gallon SMaSH recipe with an OG of 1.083, using Maris Otter and Southern Cross (13.5% AA). I'm going to use S-04 yeast as its all ive got on hand, but I have absolutely no idea how much to pitch with such a small batch of high OG beer!?

I have been doing normal 13L/ 3 gallon batches of average 1.040-1.050 beers with a full 10gram pack of Safale yeast. Even though I know i could probably use less and be fine, but what about this one?

Can I get away with half the S-04 pack with this big of a beer? I'm just concerned I will over-pitch with such a small volume if I use the whole pack...

I've racked my head around the proportions about 10 times and i'm so confused... HELP!

Brewersfriend.com yeast calculator says target is 85billion cells, a 11gram pack of dry yeast would give 110billion cells. 25 billions isn't that much of an overpitch to be worried about.

I would pitch it all, from my experience it is harder to over-pitch than to under-pitch.

Just pitched this morning at 17'C.

Cheers guys, this things going to be tasty mmmm

Back