How much yeast to prime lager with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLbrewnoob

Reaction score
I've read in several different places that I should add fresh yeast to my priming solution if I lagered at 35 F for 2 months or longer or the beer is crystal clear because there might not be enough to carb with.

I have not been able to find an answer to "How much yeast?" I used White Labs WLP833 Bock Lager in the beer recipe and I need to purchase more to add during priming. I know I shouldn't add the entire vial, but I'm clueless on how much. I would appreciate any experienced recommendations!

I would just use any high floc. yeast. Half a pack of S-04, or windsor would do just fine. Save your money and skip the liquid yeast because you will get 0 contribution of flavor from them.

Honestly I don't think it's necessary. I've had 3 month long lagers prime up just fine in 3-4 weeks time(granted I've only done 2 3+month lagers). Unless you're filtering it out there is still some in suspension, even in almost perfectly clear looking beer. You also may have an issue of the yeast deciding to restart fermentation. The breweries that do add yeast back in do it because they know how much exactly to add for their given beer and what to expect from it because they have done it so many times.

Back