How much yeast to pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunadmn

Reaction score
Evening all I am making a small batch (1 gallon) all grain of a tripel recipe I found from the Brooklyn Brew Shop and trying to determine the amount of yeast to pitch. I am using a Whitelabs Abbey Ale WLP530 yeast. I have gone out to the Mr. Malty web site to try to figure this out on my own, but since I have no OG to go from I am a bit at a loss. Also for this small a batch should I even bother with a starter and if so once I determine the amount of yeast how much DME should I use?

Thanks all,
-Stephen

We can't really help you unless we know OG and yeast viability (same as mr malty). What's your recipe? We can come up w a rough OG based on your ingredients and batch size and go from there.

I wouldn't usually recommend doing this, but if it's a good fresh vial of yeast being just the gallon you could just pitch the vial. A gallon of beer is almost a starter in it of itself. Make a high gravity 5 gallon batch to pitch on the cake!

I looked at their instructions for "A Well Made Tripel" , they call for tossing half a packet of yeast into it. So my guess is that you don't need a starter, I would venture the unscientific method of pouring most of the yeast in but I assume that's not acceptable.

Did you buy their kit or find a recipe and have the grain bill? If you know what's in it and how it was mashed you can probably throw it into a recipe builder to estimate OG.

Here is the ingredient list:

2.8 pounds Belgian pilsner malt
0.08 pounds Carmel 10 malt
0.3 ounce east kent Golding hops
0.1 ounce Saaz hops
0.25 pound clear Belgian candy sugar

Thanks all!

Just pitch the whole vial.

You can go to an online website to figure the OG. E.g.,

http://www.brewersfriend.com/allgrain-ogfg/

BTW: this is the downside of brewing a one gallon batch. $7 worth of yeast for 10-11 bottles. Maybe you should brew a series of Belgians all with the same yeast (harvest it).

Here is the ingredient list:

2.8 pounds Belgian pilsner malt
0.08 pounds Carmel 10 malt
0.3 ounce east kent Golding hops
0.1 ounce Saaz hops
0.25 pound clear Belgian candy sugar

Thanks all!

I got an OG around 1.088 obviously it's probably not perfect

But I just check Mr. Malty and they have it as like 0.6 Vials so you'd probably just want to guess how much that is

Just pitch the whole vial.

You can go to an online website to figure the OG. E.g.,

http://www.brewersfriend.com/allgrain-ogfg/

BTW: this is the downside of brewing a one gallon batch. $7 worth of yeast for 10-11 bottles. Maybe you should brew a series of Belgians all with the same yeast (harvest it).

Yeah it is a downside. What I want to do is have like 3 similar or maybe the same beers, and just make a mess of starters that I'd need. Probably make a 2 litre batch and pitch that between all 3 batches.

I was thinking about harvesting the yeast and using it again on a larger batch of this brew if it turns out well, this is going to be my first all grain brew so figured start small in case I mess things up.

Since we are talking about harvesting do you guys have any good recommendations for a decent how-to?

You might check out our detailed yeast pitch and starter calculator.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Liquid yeast goes bad pretty fast. The calculator will provide details like how much yeast is probably left in the vial, and how much yeast you need to hit a certain pitch rate. At an OG of 1.088, you might go with a higher pitch rate (1.5 or 2.0).

Back