How much yeast for 1 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taquina

Reaction score
I'm new to cider making and wanted to try a one gallon batch. I have the apples for pressing, but am wondering how much f a standard yeast packet to use for one gallon. Since the packet is for a 5 gallon batch, do I simply take 1/5 of it?

Thanks!

Taquina

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yep. It is cheap and I don't like to half partial packs of yeast lying around. If it cost more then I might start halving the amount and trying to store the remainder. Either way I don't think flavor is affected

At 60 cents a pack, why not use the whole thing and garrentee it?

Ive done 2, 1 gallon ciders and I pitch about 1/3 to 1/2 a pack of champagne yeast. It seems to work well. I have good fermentation after 24 hours and it carries on for a week or so.

i generally use about 1/5 of a package for a 1 gallon batch, it works fine. but i'm cheap.

I just did 2 lots of 1 gallon demijohns, just put half a packet in each. The yeast is going to multiply anyway, just means it will be fermenting quicker with more in.

The 6 grams packages are good for "1-6 gallons" according to the package directions.

Since dried yeast absorbs water and goes bad once it's open, if you're not making a couple of different wines, it's best to just pitch the whole package and not try to save it.

I'd say it depends on how long you're going to store the yeast for after you've taken the portion you used for brewing. I've divided my sachets before and never had any problem, but the longest I've let it sit around for is probably 2 months. The one yeast I've had the biggest problem with getting to ferment was, ironically, one I had just opened.

I usually make one gallon batches on a steady rotation doing experiments on recipes...try pitching half of a package into a nice cider and then change up the recipe a hair..tweet the OG or add some spices or honey..my lhbs spells one gallon glass jugs for 2.75 and airlocks are a dime a dozen..have fun and experiment :mug: cheers!

Currently I have brewing a cyser with 1 gallon of Motts and one cup of honey. Gravity 1.080 Red Star Pasture Champaign yeast..Today I am going to use the other half package of yeast to make a peach melomel. I have the honey, peach puree, and yeast..now I just need some good water..my local tap water has cloramine..off to wallet world!

I have a cyser going as well, at about 1.100... has been on for about a month and a half now. I only pitched half a pack of EC1118. We'll see how it all turns out.
Have fun with your 1 gallon batches! they are my fave thing to do. :D

I've been pitching about 1/5 of a packet. I'm 18 batches in and it hasn't caused me any issues. Each batch has been good. I sanitize my scissors, and when I'm done, I fold over the packet a few times, tape it shut, through it in a ziplock in the freeZery section of my mini fridge. I just eyeball the portion but I suppose I could weigh it out on a digital scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a cyser going as well, at about 1.100... has been on for about a month and a half now. I only pitched half a pack of EC1118. We'll see how it all turns out.
Have fun with your 1 gallon batches! they are my fave thing to do. :D

I love those gallon batches..I can pump out some nice ciders and cysers on a regular rotation while my mead and melomels take a while

Back