How much would it cost to start a brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've thought about this several times (haven't we all??)... IMO, a good amount depends on where you'll be brewing. Both as far as the state and facility. If you can find someplace at a low enough rate, that doesn't need a ton of work to get up to code (for brewing), then you won't need as much. Depending on your batch size, number of batches you'll be producing per week, or have in process at any one time, will also impact costs. Then there's the things not everyone thinks of. Insurances for one thing could put the entire thing out of your reach.

So, really, you need to research where you could do this, costs associated with facility setup, and then decide. IF you can get, or have, the funds to do it, then you need to decide if you REALLY want to turn what's currently a hobby into what you'll be doing to earn a living. BTW, don't forget about the people you'll need helping you out. You will need at least one (or two) people to help in the process. Also don't forget about what you'll do with all the spent grain after the mash. IF there are farms in your area, you might be able to either sell the spent grain to them, or just give it to them. If you can get enough to cover the transportation cost of the grain, then [IMO] you'll be doing well. Even if you get nothing for it, at least you won't be filling dumpsters with it. :D

... BTW, don't forget about the people you'll need helping you out. You will need at least one (or two) people to help in the process...

Again that depends on the size, reading over the probrewer forums it is a common theme that a lot of new breweries start out with just one employee, the owner, and he/she bust here ass off for a year or two brewing upto 1000 bbl a year. Mainly because in the first year or two your sales can't justify an extra employee. Once they have a steady income stream from a good acount base, they generally know/realise that to grow any bigger it can't be done with only one person anymore :)

Also consider the failure rate which I believe is about 90%. You can find used equipment at a discounted price, especially on some pro brewer forums. Of course, this is equipment from failed breweries so that brings me back to my original point.
I'm more interested in opening a beer/wine shop rather than a brewery but my location isn't good for something like that.

IF I'm going to be brewing at production levels, I'll need someone to help me out. My back simply isn't good enough to do all that by myself.

todd_k, the failure rate is also reason to pause before jumping into this. I had a plan, a multiple year plan, that has yet to be even started. IF enough conditions are met, then I could consider brewing full time. Otherwise, it remain just a pleasure/hobby.

IF I'm going to be brewing at production levels, I'll need someone to help me out. My back simply isn't good enough to do all that by myself.

todd_k, the failure rate is also reason to pause before jumping into this. I had a plan, a multiple year plan, that has yet to be even started. IF enough conditions are met, then I could consider brewing full time. Otherwise, it remain just a pleasure/hobby.

Yeah it is definately horses for coarses, but an extra employee might be that factor the turns a doable business plan into impossible.
I agree with you on planning - as they say "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

I wonder how many more clichés I can get in here :D

Yeah it is definately horses for coarses, but an extra employee might be that factor the turns a doable business plan into impossible.
I agree with you on planning - as they say "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

I wonder how many more clichés I can get in here :D

Who said anything about paying the person??? What do you think [of age] family members, and maybe friends, are for? :D

It's also about supply and demand. :D

Back