How much wort to leave behind?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadabrew

Reaction score
So just got my spigots installed in my kegs and am ready to do my first batch with this new set up tomorrow.
Last night I was calibrating the volume of the keg and using a piece of wood to measure a gallon at a time for both my MLT and my BK.

So my question is this. In my boil kettle when I drain all the liquid out from the spigot I am left with 2.2 gallons underneath the spigot. Do you just leave this as waste as no doubt it will contain trub. (I'm generally doing 10 gallon batches) Or do you grab an auto siphon and get more wort out?

Just wondering if I need to work this wasted volume into my calculations. When I did 5 gallon batches I wasn't really left with that much trub so 2.2 gallons seems excessive.

Appreciate any advice.
Cheers

2.2 gallons seems like an awful lot to me. Can you tip the kettle to get more out? Or maybe a drain tube that goes down farther???

Dip tube. Straight to the middle for a full drain or a side pick up if you want to whirlpool and leave a cone of hops/trub behind.

Dip tube. Straight to the middle for a full drain or a side pick up if you want to whirlpool and leave a cone of hops/trub behind.

This is what I have in my boil kettle (keg). Just a simple diptube about 1/3 of the way in. If you look at the keg, there are "levels" at the bottom. Much of the heavier trub will fall in the bottom, in the middle, especially if you whirlpool just a bit. My diptube sits to the bottom, not right along the side, but not to where it drops off, either. It works great- gets out almost all of the wort, but leaves behind the trub/hotbreak/pellet hops debris, etc. I never measured the stuff left behind, but I'd guestimate that it's under 2 quarts.

What yooper said. You need a dip tube angle off to the side and bottom for whirlpooling the trube to the center. I leave maybe 2 cups of wort and a cone of trube behind from 10+ gallon boils.

OK got it. Thanks all, just need to get a dip tube from somewhere.

For tomorrow I will just get everything I can out of the spigot and use my auto siphon for that last bit.
Thanks!

Back