How much will RO system help with high bicarbonates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyb15

Reaction score
So from my original water report i had Bicarbonate, HCO3 331.

I assumed that an RO system would take care of this, which i just finished installing and Im waiting for a good brew day. I have been seeing various threads where people are saying the RO system only cut the bicarbonate levels in half or so? Should i get my water tested again out of the RO? Hope i didnt just waste money on a RO setup...
Thanks!

A newly installed system should get 95% or more so you might have 16.5 mg/L. Very high mineral content waters challenge RO sustems. You could always put 3 in tandem if one by itself was not effective enough for you.

Good to know. So if i keep up on filter replacements i should be okay? I will literally only use this for brewing water so should last a while i hope.

I have tremendously high bicarbonates (335 ppm). I installed an RO system in November and I recently purchased a TDS meter to keep an eye on the effectiveness of my RO system. It was reading 21 ppm (total of all mineral content). So...yeah...RO systems can cut that down very effectively.

Back