Quantcast

How much will my top off water change my beer?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
I did a partial mash of Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale. It was my first PM. I ended the boil with 5.5 gal, but after whirlpool and siphon off of the cold break, I ended up with 4.8 gal. I topped off to 5.5, and now I'm wishing I had just let it be and kept the smaller batch.

My after boil gravity was 1.053, and I calculate a top off gravity of 1.046 after I added .7 gal.

I know the beer will have less ABV and a lighter feel, but how different do you think it will be from what Ed intended?

I had no ideas that the plug hops and cold break would displace that much volume. I guess you learn something every brew.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
I don't know how to help you, but I'm curious - what do you mean "siphon off all the cold break?"

OP
BeehiveBrewer

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
Hey Nitrous,

I didn't mean 'siphon off ALL the cold break', I meant 'siphon off OF the cold break'.

In the past I had tried to carefully pour the wort from the kettle to the bucket and leave benind the trub. This time, I thought I'd try and whirlpool, and then siphon the wort from the edge of the kettle to try and leave the cold break and hops behind.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
Tres' unnecessary if you asked me. Siphoning off good beer to add water??......

I could not care less about clarity unless I am entering a contest.

Water in wort will have the same effect as adding a cup of water to a glass of Kool-aid. Unless you are dieting, nothing good will come of it.

OP
BeehiveBrewer

BeehiveBrewer

Reaction score
So Cheezy, are you saying that you would have left it as a smaller 4.8 gallon batch, or poured all of the hops and sediment into the fermenter?