how much will fit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
just started doin all grain on our last batch and so far so good. I have a 5 gallon round igloo cooler with a false bottom. just made a pale ale with a 9 lb grain bill and no problems. I kno I can fit a lot more just curious if anyone knows the maximum amout of grain that can be mashed is such a mash tun. Plan on doing a barleywine soon and want to use as much of the grain from the recipe. the all grain version is about 20 pounds of grain! thanks for any help:)

I've personally mashed 14.5lbs of grain in my 5 gallon MLT. It was a very thick mash and I had no problems at all with it. I believe my water to grain ration was about 1qt/lb. The mash calculator posted above is also handy for figuring stuff like that out.

Thanks so much for the link... that works awesome! Makes it real easy to figure out. Cant wait to max out my mash tun!:)

Back