How much whiskey?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

SmokeyRydr

BeachMonkey.Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
due to a timing failure on my part, I kegged 5g of a strong belgian before it finished. the resulting beer is only 7%. i want to add some whiskey to bring it up to about 8% and add some bourbon notes.

are their any guidelines for adding whiskey to increase gravity?
flaming.jpg

OP
SmokeyRydr

SmokeyRydr

BeachMonkey.Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my quick math...
  • 5 gal = 640 oz, and 1% of 640 is 64oz.
  • So I need to add 64oz of alcohol to raise the alcohol 1%
  • Whiskey is 80% alcohol. 64oz divided by .8 is 85. So I need to add 85oz of whiskey to raise 5 gal by 1% alcohol.
make sense?

OP
SmokeyRydr

SmokeyRydr

BeachMonkey.Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my quick math...
  • Whiskey is 80% alcohol. 64oz divided by .8 is 85. So I need to add 85oz of whiskey to raise 5 gal by 1% alcohol.
make sense?
Ok, bad math... Revised below
* 5 gal = 640 oz, and 1% of 640 is 6.4oz.
* So I need to add 6.4oz of alcohol to raise the alcohol 1%
* Whiskey is 80 proof or 40% alcohol. 6.4oz divided by .4 is 16. So I need to add 16oz of whiskey to raise 5 gal by 1% alcohol.

Calder

Reaction score
Don't add Whiskey to increase alcohol. Add Whiskey to create/make/improve the beer you have. The Whiskey should be a flavor component, not an additive to reach a particular alcohol.

The goal should be to create a beer that tastes good, not one that 8% alcohol.

It is too late to work out numbers, but yes, 16 ozs of 80 proof alcohol will get you roughly 1%. You also need to factor in the volume increase, but that is minimal.

It may be a wonderful beer, but I'm not sure I would mix a Belgian with Whiskey.

FloppyKnockers

Reaction score
Aside from adding whiskey to beer to bring the alcohol level up being a 'not so good idea', what you want to do is plug your numbers into an algebraic mixture table. Just Google it - you'll find it.

OP
SmokeyRydr

SmokeyRydr

BeachMonkey.Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Don't add Whiskey to increase alcohol. Add Whiskey to create/make/improve the beer you have. The Whiskey should be a flavor component, not an additive to reach a particular alcohol.

The goal should be to create a beer that tastes good, not one that 8% alcohol.

It is too late to work out numbers, but yes, 16 ozs of 80 proof alcohol will get you roughly 1%. You also need to factor in the volume increase, but that is minimal.

It may be a wonderful beer, but I'm not sure I would mix a Belgian with Whiskey.
Your right, I'm adding it for flavor. Because I stopped fermentation too early, the alcohol / residual sugar balance was way off.

I've been experimenting with alcohol addatives and Jack Daniels works really well with my dark strong Belgian ale.

I wanted the calculation as a guide, but I'll start adding it slowly to taste.

Soulshine2

Reaction score
Here's my quick math...
make sense?
no ,64 is 10% of 640 ... your answer should be 6.4