How much water to Steep in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did a small 2 gallon extract GF brew today and steeped the grain in 2.75 gallons. Would it have made any difference if I steeped in say 1 gallon and then added the additional water later?

I make 3 gallon batches and what I usually do is I start with 3 Gallons, steep in that, then go straight to boil after that. At the end when I am putting it in the fermentor I usually have to add half of gallon or so, but I have not found that it changes the flavor of the beer at all.

I make 3 gallon batches and what I usually do is I start with 3 Gallons, steep in that, then go straight to boil after that. At the end when I am putting it in the fermentor I usually have to add half of gallon or so, but I have not found that it changes the flavor of the beer at all.

Thanks, I haven't done a extract batch in over 2 years and couldn't remember if it made difference. So much easier doing AG w/the BIAB method. LOL :tank:

I did a small 2 gallon extract GF brew today and steeped the grain in 2.75 gallons. Would it have made any difference if I steeped in say 1 gallon and then added the additional water later?

It will make a difference if there are any base grains in there. There are lots of starches in crystal and dark grains that cannot be converted by a normal steep. If there are no base grains, the volume makes no difference.

Like mentioned, not really critical to steep in a particular volume
Some literature mentions 1-2 qts per pound of steeping grains.
When I used to do extract / steeping brews, I would use a gallon or so and steep for 20-30 minutes then place mesh strainer over kettle and sparge/rinse with additional water to reach pre boil volume.
Not sure if it helped or not, but seemed to make more sense to rinse the grains off as well as i could.

Just my .02

Back