how much water to boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippinLt

Reaction score
when making an extract brew, how much water should i boil before adding the extract. I know in a later step you add pure water to raise the level up to five gallons. If capable should i boil perhaps 3-4 gallons versus 2. Is it best to add as little water possible to reach the 5 gallon line in the fermentation bucket, in order to be sure that the water is clean.

Basically Im asking if a larger boil with extract is better than a smaller water/extract mix. I cant see the 2 being similar because the extract will be boiling with much more water and wont this change the properties of the mix..perhaps more diluted? just a though. thanks!

I try to boil as much water as I can with extract brews. (i.e. 3.25 gallons in a 4 gallon pot). I think the main difference is hop utilization. More water will pull out all the hoppy goodness better.

That's my rookie advice.

I started with 7 last night for a 6 gallon batch, boiled hard, added about 3 quarts 20 minutes in, and still had to add nearly 1/2 gallon when it went to the fermenter. I could have added more because my OG was a couple points high.

And that's my rookie advice :D

are you boiling off too much extract? im trying to get a better grasp on this. if you have 4 gallons boiling and add the extract will it boil off more of the extract than if you put it into 3 gallons..

None of the extract should boil off. Or at least, not enough to pique the interest of anybody but a really uptight chemist.

Then again, maybe we can get another boil argument going :D

ok so heres the deal. Im gonna have a 20 quart(5gal) stainless steel pot. Ill have 4 gallons in there boiling with extract. Hopefully ill only have to put in a gallon and a half of bottled spring water.. Think i should boil that before i put it into the fermenter?

ok so heres the deal. Im gonna have a 20 quart(5gal) stainless steel pot. Ill have 4 gallons in there boiling with extract. Hopefully ill only have to put in a gallon and a half of bottled spring water.. Think i should boil that before i put it into the fermenter?

no, no need to boil bottled water before using it.

I never boiled my tap water, either, but I know it's recommended to do so if you have chlorine or possible contamination problems. With bottled water, there shouldn't be any problem with using it right out of the bottle. You can even put it in the fridge before hand to help chill the wort more, if you want.

As for how much to boil with the extract and hops, you boil how ever much the recipe calls for. If you're making your own recipe, then it's up to you. As a general rule of thumb, bigger boils are better.

Back