How much water do you guys use when mixing w/ sugar for priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neb_brewer

Reaction score
I've had major inconsistencies with my carbonation levels lately. Most notably, my current milk stout that is basically ruined because it turns into a volcano of foam when the cap is popped. I'm really tempted to keg for this reason, and I can get the stuff to keg easily/cheaply (my uncle works for Coke :) ), but I want to be able to share my beers and possible submit them at competitions in the future.

We finally bought a food scale so we can measure our sugar by weight. But I'm also wondering if there is an optimum amount of water to use for the solution. It would make sense to me that a thicker end solution would be more difficult to mix throughout the beer.

I'm pretty sure the amount of water doesn't make any difference in terms of carbonation, unless you weren't able to mix the beer/priming sugar soultion like you stated. Your gushing beers may have something to do with an infection in the beer or it not completely fermenting though. When I do bottle carb I use the standard 5 oz of corn sugar to prime my bottles and have never had an issue. If you are using more then that and depending on the temperature that could also be an issue.

I know that the amount of water doesn't have any effect on carbonation level. My concern is how well the solution mixes with the beer.

My reasoning:

Thicker solution = doesn't mix as well
Thinner solution = mixes better

True? Not true?

You're right though, my stout carbonation issues could be because of an infection. I've decided that this may be the culprit w/ it. It also could have not fermented completely. However, I posted a topic on that here before bottling: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/1-021-fg-milk-stout-too-high-og-1-051-a-202758/ and the general consensus was that it had finished. However, this isn't my only beer that I've had inconsistent carbonation levels with.

p.s. I used this calculator my last bottling session: http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

I bring 1 cup of water to a boil, then add the sugar, disove..cool..etc...and have never had a problem.

I used to be afraid of stirring the beer in the bottling bucket. Now, I dissolve (weighed-out) sugar in about 100mL of sterilized water, siphon from the fermenter onto this and then use the handle end of my paddle to stir it. I use that end to decrease aeration (yes, I's still a little scared despite no ill-effects) and I try to create a smooth whirlpool without splashing.

And BTW, are you sure you allow fermentation to complete before bottling? That is FG stable for 2-3 days? The lack of bubbling is NOT an indicator of completed fermentation. Incomplete fermentation will definitely cause XS carbonation.

I doubt it is an infection if it tastes good.

Also, check out a carbonation level site on the net to be sure you are not using too much sugar.

No hard data but: Sugar is soluble in water/wort. The difference in a thinner/thicker sugar solution shouldn't mean much once it is mixed with the large volume of beer. (Unless we are talking extremes) I add my sugar solution in the begining to my bottling bucket then siphon my beer from my carboy into the bucket.

I'm a 1-2 cup water with my sugar. I measure my sugar by weight not volume though which I think is preferred.

Thanks everybody, all helpful replies. I think I'll go with 2 cups of water/per suger amount as suggested by Revvy.

And BTW, are you sure you allow fermentation to complete before bottling? That is FG stable for 2-3 days? The lack of bubbling is NOT an indicator of completed fermentation. Incomplete fermentation will definitely cause XS carbonation.

I doubt it is an infection if it tastes good.

I'm sure that I'm allowing for fermentation to complete before bottling. I've never bottled sooner than 4 weeks after brew day. I also always check the gravity to make sure fermentation has stopped. The only way that fermentation wouldn't have been complete is a stuck fermentation like I was concerned about with the stout mentioned above.

Oh, and it doesn't taste horrible, but definitely doesn't taste "right" to me.

Latest posts

Back