How much waste??? for a recirculating pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
So I have been having issues with my mash... have inquired, and have done some testing myself. So to help my mash out I am thinking recirculating ( I am a EBIABer). piecing everything together I'm looking at about $230.00. or a tad bit more..... any way. I was talking to the wife, and say how I may have to work some OT to cover the cost.... after discussing our finances, she looks at me and ask why i will need to work OT.. So tomorrow I will be ordering what i need, Most of witch will be coming from BrewHardware - minus the pump (mack2)since the have 0 in stock, what a bummer.. anyway as the question how much waste should i expect 10' feet of hose and pump. Honestly I am thinking not enough to consider. since I'm sure I will be actually gain more from whirl pooling.(after I drain my kettle as it is set up right now, I still see some useable wort that could go into the fermenter).
I have thought about getting a cheap pump, but have decided to go with the mach2 pump, feeling that it should handle some of the degree from brewing. I put my hops in a bag, son don't have hop degree to deal with when draining to my fermenter ( right now favorite is a for monster, versus buckets) .

I truly didn't want more equipment, but feel that it is necessary because of what i am running into. so I am setting up to recirculate as well as whirl pooling.

honestly a cheap solar pump off amazon is fine. Go 24v for a bit more power. Pump, power supply with variable speed, cam lock fittings, u barb and elbow, plus tubing should be easily under 100. Plenty of power to whirlpool 5-6 gallons.

as to waste, about a pint, dependping on pump, pint and a half.

honestly a cheap solar pump off amazon is fine. Go 24v for a bit more power. Pump, power supply with variable speed, cam lock fittings, u barb and elbow, plus tubing should be easily under 100. Plenty of power to whirlpool 5-6 gallons.

as to waste, about a pint, dependping on pump, pint and a half.
a pint fills 10' of hose plus hose? I was looking at a solar pump, but not sure how well the true will do with the pump.

If it matters that much one can chase the plumbing with some hot liquor...

Cheers!
doesn't really matter, I'm sure I will figure it out sooner or later, but looking for a starting point from experience people.

not forwards you, but why people ask silly as questions.

trub wont clog it. And the WP action will get you a nice cone of trub in the center so less gets into the pump overall Big hop chunks can sometimes clog it but typically not an issue. If you bag hops, no worries at all, but maybe not as nice of a cone.

plus if you use an immersion chiller it cuts down the chill time quite a bit.

Check an online calculator if you want, but the plumbing rule of thumb is that 10’ of pipe is just under a pint. That’s for standard 1/2” pipe.

I guess that Isn't not much. I was looking at a smaller pump, someone posted, but can't think of the link right (tipsy) and I'm not sure, 1/3 of the price I think i want a bigger pump for measure sake... made..... as stated before, drunk, and planning to upgrade, and I do get talkative when I drink LOL... I'm just trying to think of how to input the extra waste into beer smith...... One would think making beer would be simple LOL.......

this must be a first. @IslandLizard i think this should be moved to a serious forum....lol, us drunks don't like it when sober people start talking seriosuly around us.

(i scrolled all the way down to find the "low life". then my brain hurt with someone asking how much volume 10' of unsaid ID tubing holds! or something like that...)

;) :D

So to help my mash out I am thinking recirculating
First off, what do you think recirculating will improve?
And what is the issue with your mash? Do you have a link to a discussion that determined that?

Not saying a pump is not advantageous in brewing, but using it in the mash also requires a way of heating to keep the mash temp up. And a false bottom.

Yeah, I agree. It's definitely a technical question, and arguably not enough drunk babbling going on to deserve a respectable life in DRMM.

i was thinking Redpappy, thought just because he asked a serious question with a humorous twist it belonged here. but it degraded into to soberness. lol

i was thinking Redpappy, thought just because he asked a serious question with a humorous twist it belonged here. but it degraded into to soberness. lol

Due to work and life things, it has taken a bit to respond.... this was truley not a serious question... more of a a drunken rambling/mindless rambling. First I was pretty drunk, second, I get talkative when I drink. Reason why I chose this thread.. Cheers..

And what is the issue with your mash? Do you have a link to a discussion that determined that?

Not saying a pump is not advantageous in brewing, but using it in the mash also requires a way of heating to keep the mash temp up. And a false bottom.

I started this thread Mash Temps importance
. I know the pump will not all/or some solve my issues, however, I am hoping that will help the cooling, and getting less grub in my fermentor. I do BIAB, and i do have a false bottom to protect my bag, I have noticed a difference in temp between my controller, and other temp gages, instant read digital, as well as a floating gauge. So that is where I am hoping recirculating will help.

In my case, I had never been hitting my target efficiencies, even though my reviews seemed solid. Also wanted more clear wort.

So I got a false bottom for my 10 gallon mash tun, and a pump. I pump the wort through my cooling coil, which is immersed in hot water, with a sous vide cooker maintaining the desired temp (1 degree F above my mash temp).
Now I'm hitting or exceeded targets for efficiency, and wort is super clear. So I'm happy.

I’m hoping that by just whirlpooling ( never had luck by hand, probably because I’m lazy????) But will to try a mechanical means.Will give me clearer wort in my fermentor. With hopes, I will get an even temp through out for my mash... I’m also adding insulation, so... with doing addding two variables, I don’t know

Back