how much vanilla per bottle for a robust porter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apshaffer

Reaction score
I have a robust porter that is ready to keg. I plan on kegging most of it, and bottling a few 22's. I want to add vanilla only to the bottles. I am not sure how much to add to each 22. It's a pretty roasty porter, and I want the vanilla to be noticeable but not over the top.

So here's what I'm figuring...if I would use 5 oz per 5 gal, that comes out to 1.03 tsp/22oz bottle. 4 oz per 5 gal comes out to .8 tsp/22oz bottle.

So is 1 tsp per bottle too much or not enough for a 22? Or, how much vanilla extract would you use for 5 gal of robust porter? I can do the math from there.

I know most people would use beans in the secondary. But like I said, I only want to add it to 2 or 3 bottles.

cheers.

That sounds like way too much, but the only person that will know for sure is you. Start with a small sample adding vanilla with a dropper or syringe until it smells and tastes good to you. Do your math and add to your full size bottles.

Maybe buy a commercial porter and add vanilla to that, then scale up? Or, use the pre-bottling gravity reading and add vanilla to taste

I use vanilla extract in my cream ale. Usually anything more than 2 oz per five gallons is a little much.

Yes it is very delicious and seems to be ladies favorite. It started as an accidental action of mu children. We make cream soda and root beer for kegging. My eight year old confused cream ale with cream soda and added four ounces to a batch as I was preparing to transfer to secondary. It wasn't a batch killer. And at the request of a few lady friends I have perfected to their and my taste. I add two ounces to a five gal corny keg. It enhances the usually light cream ale nicely.

Back