How much trub left behind in serving keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peace11uehman

Reaction score
Hey people,

Im venturing into the kegging world and have a quick question.

When you keg home brewed beer, how much trub collects in your serving keg when using a primary -> secondary -> keg? .

I have never used a corny keg before, and was wondering if the trub is ever sucked up and mixed into the beer when serving. When i bottle my beer, i usually leave a little beer behind when serving to prevent cloudiness. How does this work with the keg if the spear/rod takes beer from the bottom of the keg? :confused:

Basically nothing. Assuming your beer was fully fermented when kegged. You may get some yeast the fell out of suspension in your first few pints, but thats about it. The beer is drawn from the bottom of the keg.

You will usually get some, if any, sediment in the first 1-2 pours from the new keg, depending if you sucked any trub in during siphoning. After those, you are fine. Like bottling, if you are careful during siphoning you can avoid that all together. I recently tapped a new homebrew keg and had no sediment in the first pour.

If you dry hop in kegs that will give you a lot of sediment also and could potentially clog up the dip tubes. I have personally never done that but have heard horror stories. Other than that, I find kegging gives crystal clear beers! Good luck, you are going to love the switch to kegging! :ban:

My last batch had about 2 pints
of nasty yeasty beer
at the end of the keg
I did pick it up to see how much
was left so that probably stirred things
up a bit.

if you filter it, none.

if you cold crashed the secondary, probably none.

assuming a 'cool room temperature' secondary, you'll have a little yeast that falls out usually when its chilled and carb'd. The first pint normally removes all of that.

The dip tube on the Out post of a keg sits down in the bottom 'bowl' of the keg, in a little dimple. Once that dimple is clean of sediment it stays clean as long as you don't jostle the keg around.

My last batch had about 2 pints
of nasty yeasty beer
at the end of the keg
I did pick it up to see how much
was left so that probably stirred things
up a bit.

I have seen this as well. I did not disturb the keg but the beer had been in the keg less than 2 weeks.

I ferment for 3-4 weeks and go straight to the keg. I see a very thin layer of trub, probably less than 1/8"

Back