How much to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
Alright, so this weekend Im doing a knee deep simtra clone. Big Triple IPA. Should be fun. I based my recipe off of the one on crafted pours, but the one on the website seems like a low dry hop amount for a 11.25% triple ipa.

Heres the basic recipe.

5.5gal batch size
OG 1.114
IBU 127.91

22lbs American pale 2-row
1.5lbs Crystal 40L
1lb Carapils

1oz Simcoe 60min
1.75oz Citra 60min

1oz Simcoe 30min
1oz Citra 30min

.75oz Simcoe aroma
1.25oz Citra aroma

I was planning on this for the dry hop, what do you guys think...

1oz Simcoe 5 days
1.75oz Citra 5 days

Should I add more at like 10 days?
Also, if I want to dry the beer out a bit, do I want to mash higher or lower?

Thanks!

1. Move your 30 minute addition to flameout with the rest.

2. I like double dry hopping if I want a hoppy beer so go for it.

3. mash low (148ish) for a dry beer

Good luck

^ what that guy said. I would double the dry hop and no, I would not dry hop for 10 days. I dry hop for 3-5 days nowadays and it has worked out quite well. You can also add regular corn sugar to get it to dry out a little more if you miss your mash temps...so I hear.

1. Move your 30 minute addition to flameout with the rest.

2. I like double dry hopping if I want a hoppy beer so go for it.

3. mash low (148ish) for a dry beer

Good luck

Awesome thanks! Ill try that. I figured it would need some serious dry hopping so I'll shoot for a total of like 5 oz of dry hops and I'll go the double dry hop route

I would second the 5 day dry hop. I like to dry-hop personally for only 3 days and I often do it in three stages of 3 days, 2 days, and 1 day, before kegging. I have had grassy flavors from 7 days. so I am apprehensive. I once forgot about a dryhopped beer. (I have wayyy tooo many carboys going at any given time) and it sat for like 4-5 weeks. Tasted like fllippn perfume. :smack:

Back