How much temp swing is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Setting up a fermentation chamber with a chest freezer, Love controller and reptile heater bulb.

How much temp swing is acceptable for ale yeasts? I want good fermentation, but I dont want to clamp down the differential on the controller so much the freezer cycles excessivel.

That depends on what your brewing and or what yeast your using. Can we have some more info?

Well, unfortunately, thats all the info I have.
I brew IPAs, stouts, belgians...kinda a bit of everything. Can "most yeasts" tolerate 4* swings? Thats about what my keezer swings and it doesnt cycle too much - once every 2-4 hrs.

Oh yeah 4 degrees ought to be fine. That swing is just ambient temp in the fermenter. With a swing that low the beer wont even move half that much.

Four degree swings, or four degree range? I.e., do you mean 64-68, or within four degrees of 66? The first is fine, the second is a bit much for my experience.

Back