How much table sugar for Priming??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouPole

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am brewing a 1 gallon batch of Chocolate Stout. It requires .59 oz(17g) of corn sugar for priming on bottling day. However, I was planning on using table sugar as i hear there is not much in the difference when using it as a priming sugar. Would anyone be able to tell me or put me in the right direction on how much i need? or is there a conversion table that i can use to take the .59 oz corn sugar and convert it to table sugar numbers? Thanks.

When I was doing 1 gallon batches I didn't have much luck with the online calculators, it was either user error or that the calculator isn't as accurate for small volume. I always targeted 2.2 grams of table sugar per bottle I expected to get (depending on how much of a blow off there was).

I am actually surprised that there would be difficulty with a direct ratio. I've yet to have any problem.
In any case, you can't go wrong with twistedgray's idea.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/ Brewer's Friend priming calculator. Just plug in the numbers.
Edit: And good luck with your beer!
+1

I bulk prime every batch.

After rinsing and sanitizing, my bottles drain upsidedown. I'd prefer not to add steps that might introduce contaminants ...and I avoid the extra hassle.

I generally get 9 x 12oz bottles from a 1 gallon batch, so I put 0.85 gallons into the calculator.

You need slightly less table sugar than corn sugar. Maybe 10% less if memory serves.

Edit: I prefer morebeer's priming sugar calculator but any of them are fine.

Last edited:
You can also use Domino sugar cubes that you can buy at pretty much all grocery stores. 1 cube per 12oz bottle. It will give 2.5 volumes of Co2 per bottle. I learned that from the forum here :)

In my experience, table sugar always gave me off flavors. I guess I can't be 100% sure that's the cause but I can say that as soon as I started kegging, that problem went away.

Back